1st Time Decoying

Went out pigeon decoying (well that was the idea anyway!) yesterday for the first time on a new permission near Burton Upon Trent. The fields we were shooting over were on a hill and we started off on the first field near the bottom. Stayed there about three hours but saw feck all pigeons, quite a few crows though. So we moved up to the next field more on the top of the hill. Stayed another three hours or so but exactly the same, still just crows. So we packed up at that. I think I'll go back to the same place next have another go. Do you reckon it's better to go at the top of the hill or bottom, or makes no difference? Cheers

are there any birds feeding on or flighting over the fields mate ? if not youre wasting your time. theyve got to be there to shoot them. :yes:

as said above watch ALL the fields on your permission for feeding birds, you can seldom turn up at a field you fancy and shoot a decent bag.

Went out pigeon decoying (well that was the idea anyway!) yesterday for the first time on a new permission near Burton Upon Trent. The fields we were shooting over were on a hill and we started off on the first field near the bottom. Stayed there about three hours but saw feck all pigeons, quite a few crows though. So we moved up to the next field more on the top of the hill. Stayed another three hours or so but exactly the same, still just crows. So we packed up at that. I think I'll go back to the same place next have another go. Do you reckon it's better to go at the top of the hill or bottom, or makes no difference? Cheers

hows tricks pal........ first time for every thing. to be honest, u have learnt a good lesson on that day which will stand you in good stead. watch the birds for at least 2-3 days to find the lines and then it may not drop right on the day. if you fancy a day in north derbyshire with me pigeon shooting your more than welcome..... preperation brings good rewards pal... 78 last weekend. had better, had alot worse! beleive me pal. you cant beat a good day at the old flying rat. up to you now pal. bring a sence of humour if you come and a flask.. good look if not.

are there any birds feeding on or flighting over the fields mate ? if not youre wasting your time. theyve got to be there to shoot them. :yes:

as said above watch ALL the fields on your permission for feeding birds, you can seldom turn up at a field you fancy and shoot a decent bag.

good advice that. i know that i have never turned up at any random filed and shot a half decent bag. hoep you get on better next time