Hungarian Vizslas

Hello Gents,

I have been doing a bit of reasearch about this breed as my current dog is getting on a bit and she does not like the early starts to go out stalking. What does a puppy go for these days with a good working line ?.

Thanks in advance for your reply

Best Regards

Harry

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gary,

I've just got a Viszla pup (16 weeks). He's an absolutly fantastic dog. He'll retrieve a dummy, he's got a great nose and good eyes, he'll chase rabbits to the point of nailing them but just wants to play with them, he'll return to three pips on the whistle but will he walk to heel? will he f as like! I've read a lot of your posts and you seem to know what your talking about, you certainly appear to have the experience. So, am I asking to much of him at such an early age? I've read that they don't mature mentally until about two. Oh yeah and I forgot to mention he has the concentration of a gold fish!

any advice greatfully recieved.

rgds

Swampy

Ninging in England

Gary,

I've just got a Viszla pup (16 weeks). He's an absolutly fantastic dog. He'll retrieve a dummy, he's got a great nose and good eyes, he'll chase rabbits to the point of nailing them but just wants to play with them, he'll return to three pips on the whistle but will he walk to heel? will he f as like! I've read a lot of your posts and you seem to know what your talking about, you certainly appear to have the experience. So, am I asking to much of him at such an early age? I've read that they don't mature mentally until about two. Oh yeah and I forgot to mention he has the concentration of a gold fish!

rgds

Swampy

Ninging in England

Yes

Hello Gents,

I have been doing a bit of reasearch about this breed as my current dog is getting on a bit and she does not like the early starts to go out stalking. What does a puppy go for these days with a good working line ?.

Thanks in advance for your reply

Best Regards

Harry

prices range between £700 and £900 if and when i breed a litter i keep the price around £750 as i try to sell them a little cheaper to working homes the showyer stuff tends to make more money...

Gary,

rgds

Swampy

Ninging in England

Yes

Ta

Swampy

post-29203-1237505777.jpg

Gary,

Took this one today.

Can't tell you how much I love this dog. He's going to be an absolute cracker.

I love the way he responds better to gentle cajoling rather than harsh shouting and discipline.

Pointed two partridge and a hen pheasant on this outing......how the hell do they know what to do, I never taught him!

Still insists on going under fences and style rather than over, but thats probably because he's all legs at the moment.

regards

Swampy

happily ninging

post-29203-1237758273.jpg

Gary,

Took this one today.

Can't tell you how much I love this dog. He's going to be an absolute cracker.

I love the way he responds better to gentle cajoling rather than harsh shouting and discipline.

Pointed two partridge and a hen pheasant on this outing......how the hell do they know what to do, I never taught him!

Still insists on going under fences and style rather than over, but thats probably because he's all legs at the moment.

regards

Swampy

happily ninging

hes a stunning looking dog [bANNED TEXT]... its amazing the bidability of these dogs... they teach you not the other way round lol....as long as basic obedience is followed properly the natural ablility on these dogs just shines through [bANNED TEXT]!!!

Thats a lovely looking dog Swampy, i pick mine up in 5 weeks and looking at yours is just making my wait all the more frustrating. I'm really excited!! Any tips, please let me have them as i'm a novice owner.

Cheers

Jas

Thats a lovely looking dog Swampy, i pick mine up in 5 weeks and looking at yours is just making my wait all the more frustrating. I'm really excited!! Any tips, please let me have them as i'm a novice owner.

Cheers

Jas

Thanks for that.

Yes I'm quite (very) proud of him.

I'm afraid the only experience I have had with dogs prior to the Vizsla were Cocker Spaniels.

I have worked on the principle that spending time with them and being patient should work with all breeds.

If you get to know a dog and understand how his/her mind works it helps.

My Vizsla is obviously still a pup but seems to want to learn and please so I try and make it fun for him.

Treats seem to work almost instantaneously, retrieving a dummy to hand took one treat (small piece of chicken). He does it about 4 times out 5 and then he wants to do something different.

Shouting or smacking does not work at all. I shouted at the kids once and he was straight into his bed sulking, took me ages to reassure him.

I will be asking Gary as time progresses as to how I proceed as I don't know the breed that well and having read some of Garys posts he seems to knwo what he's talking about. Still reading loads of books about them and speaking to others who have them.

Its a question of "Information is knowledge and knowledge is beautiful" So I read loads and disseminate the "wheat from the chaff".

Work is even more painful now as I can't wait to get home and take him out and see what he can do.

Last night he was pointing rabbits that (I couldn't see in the dark) at about 20yds from me. Gave me the chance to stalk closer and bag two. He stayed absolutely stock still until I fired. Haven't quite got him to understand how to retrieve a dead coney yet tho' I'm not sure he even likes picking them up!

He'll hold it for a very short period, drop it and then lie next to it licking the damn thing..........Gary I hope you're reading this, as I need help on this one.

Hope you enjoy your dog as much as I mine

Swampy

Cheers

Jas

Thanks for that.

I'm afraid the only experience I have had with dogs prior to the Vizsla were Cocker Spaniels.

I have worked on the principle that spending time with them and being patient should work with all breeds.

My Vizsla is obviously still a pup but seems to want to learn and please so I try and make it fun for him.

Treats seem to work almost instantaneously, retrieving a dummy to hand took one treat (small piece of chicken). He does it about 4 times out 5 and then he wants to do something different.

Shouting or smacking does not work at all. I shouted at the kids once and he was straight into his bed sulking, took me ages to reassure him.

I will be asking Gary as time progresses as to how I proceed as I don't know the breed that well and having read some of Garys posts he seems to knwo what he's talking about. Still reading loads of books about them and speaking to others who have them.

Its a question of "Information is knowledge and knowledge is beautiful" So I read loads and disseminate the "wheat from the chaff".

Work is even more painful now as I can't wait to get home and take him out and see what he can do.

Last night he was pointing rabbits that (I couldn't see in the dark) at about 20yds from me. Gave me the chance to stalk closer and bag two. He stayed absolutely stock still until I fired. Haven't quite got him to understand how to retrieve a dead coney yet tho' I'm not sure he even likes picking them up!

He'll hold it for a very short period, drop it and then lie next to it licking the damn thing..........Gary I hope you're reading this, as I need help on this one.

Swampy

hes too young to be shooting game over at the mo and id keep the retreives down to no more than three a day if hes refusing the fifth retreive then he could soon refuse the 1st if you get my drift go onto something else.... imagine if you shot a rabbit you thought dead and when he got to it and mouthed it he received a big kick in the face it could turn him away from retreiving even rabbits for life dont introduce these things until hes at least 6-10 months old as hard as it is you should be just making things fun and obedience training...hope this helps make.... you cant run a marathon before you train for a race!!!!

Cheers

Jas

Thanks for that.

Swampy

hes too young to be shooting game over at the mo and id keep the retreives down to no more than three a day if hes refusing the fifth retreive then he could soon refuse the 1st if you get my drift go onto something else.... imagine if you shot a rabbit you thought dead and when he got to it and mouthed it he received a big kick in the face it could turn him away from retreiving even rabbits for life dont introduce these things until hes at least 6-10 months old as hard as it is you should be just making things fun and obedience training...hope this helps make.... you cant run a marathon before you train for a race!!!!

Nice one Gary, makes perfect sense.

Only shoot with airgun as I've been told a shotgun could make him "gunshy".

Honestly Gary this behaviour hasn't been trained by anyone.

Have had to pick up dead and hand to him to get to hold it.

He'll retrieve the dummy no problem, but even if the coney is thrown for him he just licks it.

Will take your advise.

One other thing. Having been out in the field and getting home he goes mental and just wants to "rough house"

nothing too aggressive just running up and down the garden, play biting and charging me, which I can easily stop just by saying "No". I have been told that I shouldn't play rough with him.

Q1 Is this true?

Q2 Why?

Q3 Why does he get excited at getting home?

Sorry to dog you with all these questions

Swampy

inquisitive ning

Cheers

Jas

Thanks for that.

Swampy

Nice one Gary, makes perfect sense.

Only shoot with airgun as I've been told a shotgun could make him "gunshy".

Honestly Gary this behaviour hasn't been trained by anyone.

Have had to pick up dead and hand to him to get to hold it.

He'll retrieve the dummy no problem, but even if the coney is thrown for him he just licks it.

Will take your advise.

One other thing. Having been out in the field and getting home he goes mental and just wants to "rough house"

nothing too aggressive just running up and down the garden, play biting and charging me, which I can easily stop just by saying "No". I have been told that I shouldn't play rough with him.

Q1 Is this true?

Q2 Why?

Q3 Why does he get excited at getting home?

Sorry to dog you with all these questions

Swampy

inquisitive ning

the rough playing can insight dominance and hard biting a making him hard mothed and b possibly questioning your authority/roll in the pack later on..

this could make him hard mouthed later on...

possibly not the exitement however being all wound up in an openspace laying out and then coming back into the house garden area can sometimes be a bit overwhelming hes probbly just doin a mad one to as hes adrenalin/exitement has got to him a bit... maybe a crate for him to go into to just chill out and cool down on his own might help him a bit!!