I cant decide what bop to get?,

bigwig

I had a mhh for 3 years which I had straight from the breeder, a great bird but last year my job changed and I never had enough time to dedicate to him as hunting is the part of falconry that I love most, so I sold him to a very nice man that has a centre in Devon, he is now being used for hunting days and very well looked after.

I like harris hawks but after flying one for 3 years I sort of fancy a change, my permission I hunt over is a mix of woods, open fields and small paddocks, I also have permission to hunt hare on lot of open land.

I know some people will say get another harris and I have nothing against harris hawks but I don’t want to get another harris as I don’t want to compare my new bird with my old one ( if you no what I mean?) also I fancy a new challenge.

So I am after a bit of advice from people that fly different birds to see what the pros and cons of flying other birds might be?

Many thanks

I have owned quite a few bop and swear by harris hawks if you had a male last time why not try for the bigger female or if you are wanting something different try a red tail they are good birds and imo they have a bit more prey drive than the harris but take a bit more time spending with them and are more aggresive and dont have the dog like loylty that the harris has.

I have owned quite a few bop and swear by harris hawks if you had a male last time why not try for the bigger female or if you are wanting something different try a red tail they are good birds and imo they have a bit more prey drive than the harris but take a bit more time spending with them and are more aggresive and dont have the dog like loylty that the harris has.

cheers mate :D

If you want a challenge get a Goshawk..if you are happy getting bunies get a female harris or a redtail..

Millet

cheers mate what would be the main differents be with the gos?, a mate of mine has a bop center and he says gos's are just as easy as a harris?

at the moment it is a toss up between a fhh and red tail, i would like a bit of an all rounder taking rabbit, hare and pheasent wich would you go for?

thanks

bigwig

If you want a challenge get a Goshawk..if you are happy getting bunies get a female harris or a redtail..

Millet

cheers mate what would be the main differents be with the gos?, a mate of mine has a bop center and he says gos's are just as easy as a harris?

at the moment it is a toss up between a fhh and red tail, i would like a bit of an all rounder taking rabbit, hare and pheasent wich would you go for?

thanks

bigwig

i aint got a hawk yet but i read some books and been on forums and they say dont start with a goshawk or falcon they are meant to be much harder work to man!

Millet

thanks

bigwig

i aint got a hawk yet but i read some books and been on forums and they say dont start with a goshawk or falcon they are meant to be much harder work to man!

i started off with a mhh great bird and alot of fun :D

I may have this wrong but have your work commitments changed again? If you dont think you had enough time for the harris why do think you will for another bird. Sorry if I missed this bit.

I have to say that either a gos or a harris would be my choice for the land you have. A gos would be the more time expensive option. They ideally need to be flown at quarry almost every day. Have you tried to lamp with the Harris if you would like a diffrent experiance with one. The female may also like the hares and unlike a gos they seem to take the bashings a bit more in their stride. With a harris you also have the option of flying in a cast if you have a friend with one.

Good luck with which ever bird you go for.

i gos would take alot more time to fly than a harris!

i would say a male red.good allrounders too,they'll take feather as good as a harris.

you cant beat a harris for practicallity.

but you cant beat a true hawk for the flights...IMO.

Your land sounds perfect for a gos but remember a gos isnt a harris. For every gos flown good and proper there are 10 that arent, the owners cant handle them or simply started to fly them and didnt realise what they were letting themselves in for.

If you think your job may change again and/or you dont want the hassle get another harris or a redtail for a change. If your job is now sound and secure, you are a good falconer and can fly her hard nigh-on every day then why not try a gos?

There's alot of people who fly Harris's who feel the birds totaly adequate for all their needs, sometimes this allrounder fits in perfect wiith peoples lifestyles so they never feel the need to take on another species of bird. I take the piss out of them in jest but a good Harris will certainly fill the pot for you on virtually every occasion.....

Having said that Redtails compared to Harris's are a great learning curve for anyone contemplateing a P/R Goshawk, temperament wise they're more arsey which requires more manning than the average Harris! Plus the flying condition range will be tighter.

Its horses for courses mate and generaly personal preference as to what land and time you have available. expect any hawk to hold you to ransom during the flying season :yes:! its not like a Gun you can pick up whenever and just go shooting, All the birds need to be kept in condition and if you want to reach any decent standard of fitness virtually flown every day too! you can obviousley get away with flying them less but don't expect any them to acheive half they would be capable of when fit, I havn't flown a good fit Gos for a few years now so never expected such fireworks of pulling a Game bird out of the air on a long flight! these days I'm happy to get out and mug a few and roll over a few bunnies ;)....

Read up on the birds either on the internet or from books and gleam as much info as possible! you'll then be in a position to have some idea which bird will suit you and your needs....

Jasper

You'll certainly mug a few on the deck or take a few on the rise! I have yet to see one take a good game bird in fair flight yet although I have spoken to people in the past who have told me their Harris's have taken Pheasants out of the air in a good clean tail chase :rofl: . I suppose it could happen at the beggining of the year when a few poults are about or perhaps a disabled Pheasant with half a ton of shot up its arse :laugh:....

Jasper