Yesterdays fallow cull .

The first fallow cull on the nearby estate took place yesterday and i got the usual invite :notworthy: .We drew for high seats and i got the central peg where all the action was last year.The deer are hell of lot wiser to it now and kept moving in the open ,only stopping when in cover although a good number did provide shooting and a very decent bag of 78 was shot .Mostly does but a few prickets too as well as fawns .I managed half a dozen from my seat with some good shots i must add.My seat was in a sparsely wooded area and afforded very good vision .The deer were picked up more or less as they were shot ,unlike last time ,and taken to a processing area for gralloch ,weighing etc .

Most of us helped with the gralloch at the end of the day which i view as payment for the shooting in the first place !

Heres one of the prickets i shot near the final whistle and a well grown fawn too.The only ones not collected before i descended from the seat .

stalking001.jpg

stalking002.jpg

A pic of the beasts awaiting process .

stalking003.jpg

And at the end of the day

stalking004.jpg

The need for the cull is apparent but there is still a part of me that says its a sad waste of life to protect a few ornametal trees

Edited by foxdropper

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first fallow cull on the nearby estate took place yesterday and i got the usual invite :notworthy: .We drew for high seats and i got the central peg where all the action was last year.The deer are hell of lot wiser to it now and kept moving in the open ,only stopping when in cover although a good number did provide shooting and a very decent bag of 78 was shot .Mostly does but a few prickets too as well as fawns .I managed half a dozen from my seat with some good shots i must add.My seat was in a sparsely wooded area and afforded very good vision .The deer were picked up more or less as they were shot ,unlike last time ,and taken to a processing area for gralloch ,weighing etc .

Most of us helped with the gralloch at the end of the day which i view as payment for the shooting in the first place !

Heres one of the prickets i shot near the final whistle and a well grown fawn too.The only ones not collected before i decsend from the seat .

stalking001.jpg

stalking002.jpg

A pic of the beasts awaiting process .

stalking003.jpg

And at the end of the day

stalking004.jpg

The need for the cull is apparent but there is still a part of me that says its a sad waste of life to protect a few ornametal trees

IF I WAS YOU, I WOULDNT PUT THIS THREAD UP WITH SO MUCH GLORY - THIS IS DISCUSTING. AS YOU QUOTED THE MAJORITY OF YOUR KILL WAS DOES. MOST OF THE DOES HAS FULLY GROWN FAWNS INSIDE THEM AT THE MOMENT - NOT FEOTUS. THESE SHOULD HAVE BEEN KILLED IN NOVEMBER/DECEMBER - AND NOT NOW. I AM NOT AN ANIMAL RIGHTS PERSON, MY HUSBAND HAS BEEN A HUNTER ALL HIS LIFE AND FULLY AWARE OF DATES FOR KILLS, BUT SURELY, YOU SHOULD BE AWARE OF THIS AS WELL. STAGS & PRICKETS FAIR ENOUGH, NOT DOES WILL FULLY GROWN FAWNS INSIDE THEM.

Blimey that's some harvest fella, good shooting.

Is that is the whole cull quota that is organised at the back end of the season?, or just what's left of the quota at the back end of the season? either way there must be a fair number on the ground.

Regards,

Pete

IF I WAS YOU, I WOULDNT PUT THIS THREAD UP WITH SO MUCH GLORY - THIS IS DISCUSTING. AS YOU QUOTED THE MAJORITY OF YOUR KILL WAS DOES. MOST OF THE DOES HAS FULLY GROWN FAWNS INSIDE THEM AT THE MOMENT - NOT FEOTUS. THESE SHOULD HAVE BEEN KILLED IN NOVEMBER/DECEMBER - AND NOT NOW. I AM NOT AN ANIMAL RIGHTS PERSON, MY HUSBAND HAS BEEN A HUNTER ALL HIS LIFE AND FULLY AWARE OF DATES FOR KILLS, BUT SURELY, YOU SHOULD BE AWARE OF THIS AS WELL. STAGS & PRICKETS FAIR ENOUGH, NOT DOES WILL FULLY GROWN FAWNS INSIDE THEM.

Im not concerned with glory at all ,if you knew me you would know that .The reason it was a doe cull was for population management.The population is too high and regular methods arent keeping on top of them .The shooting of male deer does not control a population successfully .I post what happens ,write it up true to what i see happens .If it offends then im sorry but it wont change anything .There is another cull later in the year so be warned not to read about it !

Edited by foxdropper

thanks for sharing this with us foxdropper this is a side of stalking that some people wont get there heads around and cant understand why its done, but as you know it has to be done to reduce the population , looks like you had a good day alb remmy :clapper::clapper::clapper:

Edited by remmy
thanks for sharing this with us foxdropper this is a side of stalking that some people wont get there heads around and cant understand why its done, but as you know it has to be done to reduce the population , looks like you had a good day alb remmy :clapper::clapper::clapper:
Cheers mate .

There are many reasons why the cull is not done earlier ,one of them being the pheasant season ,another is venison price .

It is a shame that this has to be done,and,knowing 'FD' very well he is of the same opinion,but,it is a necessity,and,it was done extremely professionally,so,well done to all concerned.But,I do think that they should let us on there a day a week 'FD' don't you,I think we might help towards this not having to happen quite so often...........lol

regards.........Martin.

Foxdropper, I just want to say something here:

I know nothing about shooting, or stalking. Nada. Someday I'd like to learn to shoot, and give it all a go.

In the meantime I really enjoy your accounts of what you get up to. I've learned quite a bit reading some of your posts. I confess that the thought of what you've posted here would've previously made me shudder a bit, but the respect you clearly have and they way you go about it has educated me a bit.

So just wanted to say thanks for posting. You make things sound really interesting.

Cheers ;)