Sound moderators

The law does seem a bit confused on moderators..

I have a CZ s200 .22 air rifle that has a moderator fitted..

I have an FAC with slot for .22 rifle AND a .22 FAC s1 Air rifle.

I have a .22 rim fire rifle that was made to accept a moderator and indeed was originally sold with one fitted.

I can change the valve on the .22 air rifle to make it into a s1 firearm at any time.. but I already have a moderator for it?

So the following questions need answering.

Do I have to get rid of the moderator when I upgrade the .22 air rifle to a s1 firearm?

Why don’t I have to register the moderator anyway if I don’t have a FAC?

It can be fitted to any s1 FAC rifle with the same external barrel size...

Do I have to get rid of the moderator when as FAC holder I fill a vacant spot on my FAC with a rifle that could accept the existing non S1 FAC air rifle moderator as the moderator could be fitted to any other firearm with the same external barrel size...?

If you hold an air rifle moderator before becoming a FAC holder do you then have to declare the moderator at time of applying for a FAC ?

As it happens I already told my local police authority I had the air rifle moderator at the time of the first visit and they inspected the gun and again when they inspected the gun safe and handed over my FAC.

However I now have to re apply for a variation for the “missing†moderator for the .22 rim fire even though the air rifle one will fit.

I also have to re apply to have the moderator already fitted to the air rifle if I upgrade the air rifle to a s1 firearm..

Both re applications will cost £28 each… :hmm:

I’ll try and get them all on the same “variation†and include one for the .303 as well…

I’m going to sight the noise issue on open ranges and the new countryside ambient noise reduction policy of this Government. Together with a request from the land owner that the range is located on it should help… :angel:

My local police authority won’t accept just “vermin control†as a reasonable excuse for applying for a moderator variation. .

Andy, I've not heard of anyone having a mod application/variation turned down in the last few years. Hearing protection is plenty of reason, and you should be granted mods for any and all rifles.

As for the law, it's as clear as mud. I'm in the "clarity in gun licencing law would make it too easy for Joe Public to own them" conspiracy theory camp.

I can change the valve on the .22 air rifle to make it into a s1 firearm at any time.. but I already have a moderator for it?

Be aware Andy that you cannot just boost the power up on an air rifle making it a S1 firearm and hope this will be ok.

Once an air rifle has been taken past the legal 12 ft lbs muzzle energy, it then becomes, in the eyes of the law, a "S1 firearm" to make it all legal and above board, it's then required to have the serial number registered as such, which then needs adding to your licence. Once this has been done however it is then always going to be classed as a S1 firearm regardless as to whether you choose to take it back to 12 ft lbs or not. Hope this is clear as I just wanted to make you aware of this, regards, Steve.

I don't think the police are too bothered about sound moderators just as long as if you want to use a sound moderator on a rifle, that rifle is conditioned for a moderator.

I have quite a collection of moderators, far more than my licence has listed, but they are for use "on my air rifle" :whistling: so the whole argument about FAC just does not apply.

Moderators listed on my licence are shown as "Makers Name - Unknown" with no serial number. No specific moderator is listed for any specific rifle. To me, that seems eminently sensible.

Obviously it would make more sense for moderators to be classed as accessories, like bipods, slings, ammunition clips etc. The current situation where you go into a shop to purchase a SAK for your .22rf requires authorisation but if you say it is for your air rifle you can just walk out with it does not make any sense.

Similarly, if your SAK, for example, is worn out you should be able to purchase and fit a replacement without any paperwork hassles. It is a tube of metal, to call it a firearm is just daft.

I do agree, however, that a moderator should not be attached to a rifle unless that rifle is specifically licensed for use with a moderator.