How was everyones last outing?

All I meant Tom is that imho steel can not come close to lead but if your happy then thats all that matters. No offense.

My biggest problem with steel is that when I have used it I have hit ducks and had them come down but not dead which worries me.

Well my last day went realy well,we went beating or bushing as some ov you call it,

we set of we drove one wood through and nothing,went to a bit that we had not touched all season

an old grown over farm lonning full of gorze bush,that went into a pine wood there was only 2 standers off the wood me and a mate

and with us his 2 dogs and my 2 dogs,the rest ov the lads drove it through with the terriers while we sat quirt tucked in the hedge lines my mate one one side me on the other.

the lads beating put a charlie up straight away with the terriers screeming off straight up the old lonning behind him,i just new they had seen one

as i could here the terriers crying through the wood,so i sat tite heart pumping out of my chest,the dogs addrenalin rushing here he came straight to me and down he went a big dog fox,with the terriers not far behind they had a little play aswell as they hunted him realy well,to end the season with me getting the last one i was very pleased with myself and the dogs,

thanks STEJ

STEJ

This was a fowling post? But thanks all the same

Spike, no offence taken, I suspect that you are using the wrong load or pellet size with steel. I have the CONSEP steel shot lethality table which you can buy from Tom Roster. I cannot post it as it is copyrighted and Tom is a friend! It is based on 22,000 shots on live ducks and geese in a hunt situation, the outcome of those shots and dissection of the carcases to see what happened. Not everyone is a follower but for medium to large ducks the most successful shot size was a US 3, that is a UK 2. The load and shot size are more important beyond 40yards.

In short, I used to use 32 gram loads of steel 4's for foreshore ducks and I gave them up after two trips and 6 crippled wigeon. I then switched to bismuth until I bought a new gun that allowed me to use 3" and 3.5" steel loads and gained confidence in better quality steel loads.

So by all means use HD, I would if I could afford it, but pattern your gun with steel at effective ranges before you give up on it.

Also, incase I get jumped, I am not saying that you must use large loads of large steel shot to kill ducks, when I shoot over my flightponds I use 28gram of steel 5's and they rock! But foreshore shooting is different.

Edited by tom1cameron
bjlfishing, that is a cracking return for anywhere/location! Well done that man

hard work and more time watching quarry and flight lines etc than shooting certainly helped but we got amongst them this year with only one blank flight its been good but im glad its over its been a long old season with beating and picking up every saturday and on the shore every sunday was hard work but well worth it

hard work and more time watching quarry and flight lines etc than shooting certainly helped but we got amongst them this year with only one blank flight its been good but im glad its over its been a long old season with beating and picking up every saturday and on the shore every sunday was hard work but well worth it

I'm a God fearing man and too used to my scottish rules so I dont shoot sundays, but that sure is a worship to the creation if you can add 100 duck to the table! Well done :notworthy:

hi spikeo1

was it factory loaded steel carts you use or homeloads?

i used to use factory steel loads but found like tom i was merely crippling my ducks so i tried fast homeloaded steel and i havent looked back.

Edited by edenman

Hi Edenman,

Yes factory loads. To be honest if I where to home load I would blow myself up. I am not good with things like that. I keep trying to get a mate of mine to take it up so he can load for me. He is thinking about it so I will give him a prod and get him loading 10 bore carts!

Edenman and I talked about this before and I used to be convinced about the benefits of fast steel.

I think there is tradeoff and that lighter fast loads can be great, but just like with lead, faster steel loads pattern less well. And then there is the question of muzzle jump and inter-shot time (time for the shooter to gain composure following firing a super duper fast shell).

There must be a minimum speed that below which steel just is not that effective (as with lead), and I reckon thats about 1250/1300fps (muzzle velocity).

Most factory loads start at 1300fps so they "should" not be that bad. However velocity is only one part of the story, how the shot are packaged is important as well and if they are too loose then there is not enough momentum building up behind the payload to get that "perfect" pattern (if such a things exists).

What does all this mean. Well you get good and poor quality home and factory loads, and that speed is not everything. I cant fault the more expensive remington and winchester magnum and supermagnum steel loads. I have not had the chance to use the same shells from Gamebore yet, but the equivalents (42/43 gram 1's at 1300fps) sure knock the stuffing out of big fast flying waterfowl.

I suspect the best factory steel shells would be a 1400fps 38gram load of UK 2's (mallard/wigeon etc etc) or 3's (teal/tufties/shoveler) for foreshore duck and a 1300fps 42/44 gram load of UK1's or BB's for foreshore geese. You can buy both of these in factory loads.

Pheasant pie in the oven, got to go, roll on next season

T

Edited by tom1cameron
i guess it really all comes down to having confidence in the carts that you use.there is nothing worse than having no confidence in your carts.

really enjoyed your piece in this months sporting gun tom

flattery will get you everywhere

That said, the thread of the story was all wrong due to the editing! It conveys that the supermagnums were not "available" before the new CIP ruling, which was not the case, it is just that now we have the "Health & Safety" regulations for these faster/larger steel shells that means they can become CIP accredited loads. Before they were limited by the same regs as the 76mm/3" momentum limits

Edited by tom1cameron
  • 1 month later...
havent been since opening day wich i think was the 26th of last mouth. but we got 27 between 3 of us and teal and blackies was the 2 we got. well baged out :)

good shooting, sounds like a bag from an inland splash/lake

What species of teal are they?

T

Edited by tom1cameron
  • 3 months later...