keep losing Zero!

Hi all, i have a BSA Essential 6-24x50 AO, using .17hmr hornady v-max B/tip.

I seem to be losing my zero every 30-40 rounds. (by 2-4'' at 100yds)

Brought 400 rounds at once, same batch number, stored correctly etc.

What can be causing the scope to keep losing zero??

Cheers

try the scope on a different rifle i would. im guessing its the scope. ive heard bad things about the bsa scopes mate and there build

Sorry, forgot that important bit of info, i replaced my nikko stirling gold grown, due to this issue, and it is the same with the BSA....

It gets a clean after 50rounds, i know that the grouping with expand after a clean for a few rounds, which i have noticed, however it always returns to normal, but then, yet again, my zero goes way off during the middle of a nights shooting, just can't get my head round why it keeps doing this.

Every thing is tight and transported in a case to and from any shoot, never knocked either...!?

Have you checked your sound mod mate if it starts coming undone this can cause problems, and we put about 200 rds through ours before we clean em

Mod is tight mate.

Cleaning seems to be a grey area with the HMR's.

Many local RFD's have told me to clean the rifle after evey use, due to the HMR being such a dirty round

But i'm wondering if this is the cause of the problem?

Will leave the cleaning for 100 rounds and see if the problems continue.

Cheers

Cleaning seems to be a grey area with the HMR's.

Many local RFD's have told me to clean the rifle after evey use, due to the HMR being such a dirty round

But i'm wondering if this is the cause of the problem?

Will leave the cleaning for 100 rounds and see if the problems continue.

mine is about 4 year old now, had a lot of use, cleaning em to often is a waste of ammo.

mine needs it after about 400 rounds.

when it was new it took half a box of ammo to get it back on, like you i was told to clean it after every use, waste of time and money.

mine is about 4 year old now, had a lot of use, cleaning em to often is a waste of ammo.

mine needs it after about 400 rounds.

when it was new it took half a box of ammo to get it back on, like you i was told to clean it after every use, waste of time and money.

it's hard to know whats the best thing to do. i will leave cleaning for 100 rounds and hopefully that'll cure the problem.

i do use more ammo re-setting zero than i do bunny bashing!

Just concerned that by not cleaning, i will do damage to the barel, but, like you, many people seem to leave it between 200-400 rounds before a clean.

Cheers

just a suggestion freind of mine brought one second hand and was doing exactly the same as you are saying he found out the barrel was burnt out but atb with it

That fills me with confidance!

What causes a burnt out barel? i asume that it can't be restored...?

Mine was new and i've only put 600 rounds through it, and if anything it sounds like i've over cleaned it!

Cheers

its bloody hard to over clean a barrel...every time you use your rifle it should be cleaned the only exception is 22lr on subs,,,the reason is that centre fires/hmr/mach2 etc etc all use copper jacketed rounds. some of the copper stays in the rifleing of the barrel,copper is hydroscopic.(absorbs water)which means that it causes the barrel to corrode...my hmr has done well over 5000 rounds and is still fine...check your scope mounts/stock is tight/moderator/each time you go out make sure your rifle is clean because it will count out one variable..mine starts opening up groups after 100 rounds ish when not clean.....

its bloody hard to over clean a barrel...every time you use your rifle it should be cleaned the only exception is 22lr on subs,,,the reason is that centre fires/hmr/mach2 etc etc all use copper jacketed rounds. some of the copper stays in the rifleing of the barrel,copper is hydroscopic.(absorbs water)which means that it causes the barrel to corrode...my hmr has done well over 5000 rounds and is still fine...check your scope mounts/stock is tight/moderator/each time you go out make sure your rifle is clean because it will count out one variable..mine starts opening up groups after 100 rounds ish when not clean.....

Cleaning is a difficult issue, and, as seen here there are a lot of different views on it!

I would tend to agree with Woz, cleaning is very important to accuracy and overall life of the tools themslves. I think the issue is more HOW you clean rather than cleaning too often, this is a delicate, frustrating and time consuming job when done sympathetically and correctly.

Copper deposits are a nightmare if left to build up and will cause considerable grief to a barrel and accuracy, powder residue is not so bad in the rimfires but filthy just the same (powder residue in the shotgun is a disaster ..clean quickly).

After a clean my guns only take one or sometimes 2 shots to settle, very seldom any more! :thumbs:

It is quite conceivable that both scopes are doing the same thing - neither is what I would call any good, and loss of zero is one of the more common problems with cheap scopes. Do you have/know anyone that has, anything decent?

i know 3 other people that shoot with the same bsa scope that i use, none of them have any trouble, they all use hmr too.

I will keep an eye on things.

still don't know how often i should be cleaning, makes perfect sence what 'woz' says.

:hmm:

I think the plan is to -

Re-check all is tight, mod as well.

fully clean complete rifle

put 10 rounds through it after clean

re-set zero

go lamping and test zero after a few outings

Just to rule out the 'cleaning' issue i have, i will not clean for 50rounds and see if my zero still differs.

Thanks guys