3 new hens only one laying

Guest Countryboyo

Guest Countryboyo

Hi lads have 3 hens for two days they are 19 weeks old and the woman I got them off said there all laying. but just got one egg each morning. Will it take a bit of time for the others to get used of their new home before they lay or how does it work?

Hi lads have 3 hens for two days they are 19 weeks old and the woman I got them off said there all laying. but just got one egg each morning. Will it take a bit of time for the others to get used of their new home before they lay or how does it work?

After being moved and only being 19 weeks you are lucky to get one egg ,hens will go off laying for about 2 weeks sometimes more iv had hens that only started laying at 21 weeks so just let them calm down to the new home and you will some have to many eggs and you will be giving them away .hope this helps you .

kev

You will also find due to the amount of natural light we have,as its still winter :( the hens will be restricted to daylight,this also affects their egg production.

unless you plan on leaving a light on for them.If you are getting eggs from 2out of 3 chucks then you are doing ok

A lot will depend on the breed too. Some lay well over 200 per year whereas other will be lucky to produce 100. Last season mine started just after Christmas but this year I'm still waiting...or at least I think I'm still waiting as one keeps emerging from some thick bushes and one of the dogs keeps "bushing" it and comes out licking her lips so maybe my crafty Welsummer's made her own nest.

They are very temperamental things.

Make sure they have plenty of straw,and make sure they are having greens.

Clean drinking water is also essential.

I have only had mine a few months,out of five at the moment I am only getting one egg a day.

out of three layers, the other two havent started laying yet.

Guest Countryboyo
At 19 weeks they are still 'point of lay so don't worry about it. As the others have said daylight hours and stress of moving may set them back a bit. They'll come good, what breed are they?

3 rhode Island crosses . there up to three eggs now. ;)