.17 HMR V-MAX - Whats going on???????

at my local FAD today, needed some ammo.

£11.10 for 50 rounds of Hornady V-max .17hmr. (this is what i usually buy)

he then comes out and offers me the '''same''' round, but at £8.20 for 50 rounds.

So i asked whats the difference, he said - one has a red tip, the other a blue tip.

He couldn't answer why there is a difference in price, same spec, fps, calibre, different designed sticker on the box but thats all!??

Not on the Hornady website with blue tip at all! ( I know that the HM2 mach2 has blue tip,these are deff. .17hmr)

Please someone advise!!

CIMG0687.jpg

CIMG0689.jpg

Thanks

I'd read something like this on another forum ages ago. If I remember rightly, the explanation was something like the manufacturers were using up stock piles of the HM2 bullet head with blue tip in the HMR casing, purely because the demand for HM2 had dropped so much.

Might be rubbish, but sounds plausible enough.

I'd read something like this on another forum ages ago. If I remember rightly, the explanation was something like the manufacturers were using up stock piles of the HM2 bullet head with blue tip in the HMR casing, purely because the demand for HM2 had dropped so much.

sounds about right, did notice the hm2 had a blue tip...

i'm saving £2.90 per 50 rounds so i'm happy!!!

Edited by hotel2zero
My advice is shoot them and see :yes:

Seems sensible.... and if they work ...stock up, probably no different, many other colour tips as well, simply down to a different name on the box usually!!

So far I have seen Red Tips, Black Tips, Silver Tips, Green Tips and now Blue Tips. Even though all loaded by the same factory!

My advice is shoot them and see :yes:

Seems sensible.... and if they work ...stock up, probably no different, many other colour tips as well, simply down to a different name on the box usually!!

went lamping last night, ran out of my usual red tips, and being at night i couldn't be bothered to set up a target and re-zero with the blue tips, so loaded up with blue tips and shot 3 rabbits out of 3, clean head shots. so no difference, they were 50-70yrds but will check zero this afternoon, but so far, so good!

I'll be stocking up later deker!

Cheers all. :)

• 2 months later...

i normally use the red tip but went to neath gun shop today and had the blue tip which i payed £15 for fifty couldnt beleive what is every body else paying i found this very expensive ps if theres anyone living in wales where do you get your ammo and what price id love to know CHEERS MARK

yep that's exactly what I read, asked the RFD and he didn't seem to know..., still if they work, they work! exactly the same bullet...

I bought 3 boxes at The Sportsman Gun Centre in Exeter four weeks ago, a box each of Hornady & Winchester in the 17gr and a box of Winchester 20gr hollow points just to try them, all at £12 a box (50), I have only bought Remington 17gr before and wanted to try the 'others', no difference suprise suprise, except the 20 gr shoot a fraction low at 100yds again suprise suprise!

I normaly buy 400 at a time, Martin Elworthy charged me £8 a box for the last lot, but that was last November (08), so maybe a bit more now? Anyway you have a Welsh Highwayman on the loose at £15 a box.

Andy F.

i normally use the red tip but went to neath gun shop today and had the blue tip which i payed £15 for fifty couldnt beleive what is every body else paying i found this very expensive ps if theres anyone living in wales where do you get your ammo and what price id love to know CHEERS MARK

Go to Keens, Aberkenfig ;)