longnetting for begginer

lamp+battery

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is that the size ov them all mate? just it looks big and carryin that and me ferret box and bag ov nets and the dogs i will need a pony to carry it all lol, it would be alreet to use on a night time when im only puttin that out, but look`s to much to use ferretin with all me other gear will have to look at makein something a bit more suitable, i have a long sports bag witch i could convert in to a longnet/purse net bag and keep me locator in aswell so i dont have so much to carry about, will let you no how i get on, but thanks for showin me a pic ov that bud :thumbs:

lamp

Lamps you got yourself a bargain mate I think you broke your mates wrist for that price :D :D

cheers mate i think i will get the other 100 yeard 1 for 30 quid as it has a few holes in it but im goin to cut it down to 4 25 yeard gate nets he is skint at the mo might as well get in while i can lol

lamp

• 3 weeks later...

well i had my long net out last week, :doh: and what a laugh i had took me 3 hours to set it out lol got a massive tangle in it, dident catch anything just twigs and leaves :laugh:, never mind will have to try and get it out a lot faster if i want to catch any bunnies, so a few day time trips will sort that out, i was thinking about takein the poles off and gettin 1 ov them things you get wire on from the builders murchants, and winding the net round it and pullin it out and puttin the pegs in it as i go, has any body ever tryed this methord befor, am i right in puttin the net out about 5 or so yeards off the edge ov the field or should i put it close to the edge as i can ?????? im goin to have another go at it this weekend and see if i can get a bunnie or to.

atb.....lamp

p.s dose any body leave there nets out for a few hours after puttin it out and goin back to it later on, or do you put it out then chase the field in then bring it straight back in after :hmm:

mole catcher that was a crackin read mate thanks alot, so my mate is full ov it then lol he said you put ya net out and leave it for a good few hours and then go back and chase the field in and thats how you do longnettin, he has been doin it for a few years so he must get some rabbits out ov it, i couldent put me net out and leave it and go back to it a few hours later i would fall a kip and by the time i woke up it would be daylight and some bugger would ov nicked it or trashed it lol, i have got a few good tips from that post mate and hope they work.

i will probley try a few diffrent ways and gadgets to get the net out quick and quiet as i can, so this is the first way with the pegs off the net, my theory is to peg the thing down and slowley pull the net from it, and carry the pins and puttin them on as i go, or put the first pin in walk with the real in hand and popin the pegs as i go dont no witch way would be best but there is only 1 way to try find out.

just made this for my long net will try it out the neet or the morn neet, and see if it is any easer than my last trip that took me 3 hours to put up and sort out my 100 yeard longnet, and let you no what happens, im not expecting many rabbits as it will only be my second atempt at longnetting but just trying to find a fast way ov puttin out my net on me own :thumbs:

lamp

post-11685-1236463352_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
do you not think that will work like mate ???????

coz it did :tongue2: went out like a dream with 2 people but dident get any rabbits :thumbdown:

but im not 1 for givein up will keep you posted on how i get on :thumbs:

lamp

Lamps.

Im not having a dig but trying to offer a bit of advice here. Im assuming the way you set your net out was to run the net out and then walk back and place the pegs? when you were walking back setting the pegs did you hear any rabbits thumping in the hedgerow? the reason im asking these questions is this. You said you didnt catch any rabbits and im guessing that either there were no rabbits there or they knew you were there and bolted before you could set the net. Try and imagine what im now saying. If the drum was placed at the start of where you wanted to set the net, and then you walked it out the rabbits would hear it moving and possible swishing as it did so. The noise of it would only be quiet but loud enough to spook any rabbits that would be sitting out. Now, the further you walked away from the drum the more gap the rabbits would have between you and this strange noise that they could hear. With this gap being at a guess 100yrds wide they would simply bolt over the net that was laying on the floor before it was set. Combine this with the sight, and it doesnt matter how dark the night is the rabbits will to a certian degree know you are there, of two netter walking back and forth setting the net they will be very spooky. If you have a mate willing to help why not pair net? That is why i asked you if you could hear any thumping in the hedgerow. If you could they had simple jumped the net before it was set. Be honest with yourself because if you could hear thumping on this attempt, theres a very good chance you will hear it on every night out and thats a waste of both time and effort.

Like i said at the start of this pst, im not diggig you out, just trying to offer some advice.This advice comes from over 25yrs of nightime long netting on my own, 25yrs where i have tryed many quick fix ideas and made many mistakes. The one thing i always come back to is this. Longnetting has been around for hundreds of years with the very basic of kit catching millions of rabbits over that time, a time when men where starving and rabbiting wasnt done for sport. If it worked then it will work now and work it does.

If your are having probs getting good sound advice from people who actually net send me a pm with your landlin phone number on it and i will give you a ring and help you on your way to getting it right without you having to waste both time and money

regards

MC

Edited by mole catcher

thanks mole catcher mate your a star, the wheel thing is a 2 man operation i put the first pole in the ground and get the second person to walk back with the wheel as i put the poles out every 7 meters or so till i get to the end ov the net, then peg the wheel down and walk the field as i would if i was doin it for real i wasent expecting many rabbits as the place where i put it out only holds a few and it was a test night to see if it would work, it did but im not expecting many rabbits the first few times i put it out, i will be gettin a longnet basket soon for when i go out on my own i no i must sound like a right twit but i havent done this befor so it`s all new to me and havent got amny mates that are into this kind ov hunting your advice is fantastic mate as in lerning all the time,

many thanks again ...lamp

Lamps

i wont use this site to just make money and with that in mind i wont keep pushing my book thats due out anyday. But I honestly feel that you yourself would greatly benifit from having a copy of it as it will show you all you need, including a section on pair netting. You are in a position im not, you have a netting partner to help you out with your netting. if you both follow the simple guied lines i have laid out, along with the clear photos you wont go wrong. It will save you both time and money but more importantly you will catch rabbits and this will push you on in your results.

Like i have said, if you have any questions i will gladly offer my views on them and hopefully put you in the right direction. But firstly you need to ask the questions, without them i and others cant help you.

We have all been there, trying to get it right but my honest opinion is this. The road you are on isnt the correct one, not because your trying and for that I cant fault you. I have been where you are and trust me i have made many mistakes over the last 27 years of trying. Ask any netter, not just me and i think you will get the same advice. Theres a reason why long netting has stayed the same over the last few hundred years, its not because its old fashioned, its simple because its works, end of. More importantly we have to look at why it works. Take a look at why man first used long nets, to fed himself and his starving family. They needed a method that worked each and every time, they couldnt afford to spend time on the field to go home empty handed. Or risk spending more time than they had to because if they were caught they would be shipped of to Oz as punisment. OK imes have changed but the rabbits havnt, there still the same breed of animal and their habbits are stil the same. So with that in mind the method of long netting will still work fine.

I get about 50 pm's a week from the sites i belong to, asking for advice on long netting. The common thing that runs true of nearly all of them is this. Because they havnt been shown they simple dont know how to do it so try out differant ways. This is fine and their efforts should be applauded, but i can assure you of most efforts it is time wasting and making a simple job harder than it needs to be. So lamps if you fancy a chat pm me and im sure i can ward you off making the many mistakes that i have made over the years.

regards

MC