Guest Catcher
Hi all,

I snared four rabbits yesterday,and they, as all others i`ve caught,had fleas.

I dressed the rabbits,put them in the freezer.

Can these fleas live off us humans (scratch,scratch) :o

Regards,

Mark.

No mate just leave in hut all nigth or if no hut under a box in the back garden. Onced the rabbits body tempreture is low the fleas will die is they have no where else to go.ATB CATCHER

Hi all,

I snared four rabbits yesterday,and they, as all others i`ve caught,had fleas.

I dressed the rabbits,put them in the freezer.

Can these fleas live off us humans (scratch,scratch) :o

Regards,

Mark.

No mate just leave in hut all nigth or if no hut under a box in the back garden. Onced the rabbits body tempreture is low the fleas will die is they have no where else to go.ATB CATCHER

fleas can live on other animals that arnt there normal hosts, however they cannot compleate there lifcycle without the correct host. also fleas can have quite a long life for such i tiny incect

in other words for short periods of time we as humans can get bitten by many diffrent types of flea, the most common being cat fleas, but the cat flea needs a cat to compleate its lifcle , as a dog flea needs a dog , rat flea needs a rat HUMAN flea needs a human etc etc etc. by the way human fleas are very rare , but i did here about a comfirmed case in grantham a few years ago.

• 2 months later...

I shot a rabbit years ago with my younger cousin Mark. he ran over to get it and brought it back to the car, I can still remember him laughing at me for a job well done. he kept the rabbit on his lap for the drive back which only took 10 min. he got out and took the rabbit with him as he wanted to try one for his tea with his family. The next morning I got a phone call to inform me that the rabbit was full of fleas and that they were all over Mark and the dogs LOL. took a while but now he goes out hunting rabbits by himself and is very carefull when he picks them up looking first for the dreadded craller. :clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper:

HTS

Fleas will still breed even off the host, they will live on dogs and cats for ages and get into the carpets and will give you horrible bites that some people react to badly. Although the fleas will leave the host when the body temperature drops when dead they will actively seek a new host. It pays to keep the rabbits in a closed bag for transporting and now and again dust the bag inside with flea powder. The other problem with rabbit fleas is they carry the mixy virus and if you catch rabbits in a mixy area it pays to skin them before moving them, protect your sport!

They are unavoidable baggage but thats the story of life.

If you leave the dead rabbits on the ground for ten or fifteen minutes, all the fleas will jump off the rabbit.

Tend to disagree with that one, people say this a lot, I've shot rabbits and had them left in the garden for a 1 1/2 days and theres fleas on them still, same when I've snared them overnight stone dead, and removed them next day, a lot are still crawling in em... Doesn't make a difference to me, they either go straight in the freezer or to the dealer.... Although I hate fleas/ticks..always makes me itch thinking about the little blighters..

• 3 weeks later...
If you leave the dead rabbits on the ground for ten or fifteen minutes, all the fleas will jump off the rabbit.

Not true XD

Left a rabbit for 3 days and still had them crawling all over

• 6 months later...

Rabbit fleas will do you no harm, the rabbit meat is fine to eat. if you look at your dogs on a warm day if they have picked up rabbit fleas they tend to sit on the top of their ears, this is a good opportunity to take them off the dog and put them into a container and do someones car or kit bag who is getting on your tits. I have had great pleasure in the past doing peoples cars, the fleas will bite their ankles if dropped in the floorwell of a victims car generally my bosses car or office. kit bags are also very effective so look on the bright side of catching rabbits with fleas.

Ps caster maggots are also effective for a delayed reaction invasion of bluebottles.

Fleas will still breed even off the host, they will live on dogs and cats for ages and get into the carpets and will give you horrible bites that some people react to badly. Although the fleas will leave the host when the body temperature drops when dead they will actively seek a new host. It pays to keep the rabbits in a closed bag for transporting and now and again dust the bag inside with flea powder. The other problem with rabbit fleas is they carry the mixy virus and if you catch rabbits in a mixy area it pays to skin them before moving them, protect your sport!

They are unavoidable baggage but thats the story of life.

fleas cannot BREED of a different host they can survive but the cycle will go no further than that