Long Range Shooting

i keep gettin pusehd off the idea of a .243 i know its a great caliber but it would mean getting rid of my .22-250 and i like have more guns not less of them. scope wise i was looking at a leupold mark 4 whihc now i realise is quite out of my budget at well over a grand for the 6.5-20 model, what mag is necesarry for this type of shooting as i really only got the answer of you will need a big mag and there wasnt any numbers stated??.

But all in all i think im jsut a fussy C**t!!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the .243 is a jack off all trades caliber , why will i need a .22-250 if a .243 will do the same job using 57gr bullet

liam

Not sure I would refer to the .243 as a jack off all trades caliber

and...

i keep gettin pusehd off the idea of a .243 i know its a great caliber but it would mean getting rid of my .22-250 and i like have more guns not less

I'm getting lost as to where you are coming from...I have a FAC full of different calibres, whats wrong with having both???!!

BUT, in any case, if you decide the .243 will do everything your 22-250 will, why would you have a problem getting rid of the 22-250?

i keep gettin pusehd off the idea of a .243 i know its a great caliber but it would mean getting rid of my .22-250 and i like have more guns not less of them. scope wise i was looking at a leupold mark 4 whihc now i realise is quite out of my budget at well over a grand for the 6.5-20 model, what mag is necesarry for this type of shooting as i really only got the answer of you will need a big mag and there wasnt any numbers stated??.

But all in all i think im jsut a fussy C**t!!

If your shooting at 600-1000 yrd target shooting your looking at a minimum x25, preferably x36 to x45.

Liam, getting a 243 for long range target work means you will have a different beast to your 22/250.

The 22/250 with the right bullet will go 500 yards, there's your foxing. Not sure what scope's on there, but a 16x will be fine for the role, and if the rifle is carried at all you will need to watch the weight.

Your 243 will be equipped with a scope for 1000 yard shooting, which is going to be heavy (Nightforce or similar recommended for that role, 22x minimum, some say 32x). You won't be shooting the 58gr Vmax at long range targets, more likely 95 or 105 grain stuff, so it will be totally different.

Just because a 243 can do the job of a 22/250, doesn't mean yours will!

one other word on scopes - even if your rifle ends up as a piece of crap to start with (not that it will) buy a good (around the thousand quid mark) scope for it, because at that range you will need it.

Liam, getting a 243 for long range target work means you will have a different beast to your 22/250.

The 22/250 with the right bullet will go 500 yards, there's your foxing.

Are there many foxes on the Shetlands Liam??

A 22/250 is definitely the better rabbit tool! :)

Why are we talking 22/250 for rabbitting?

I must admit I missed the fact that the op is well up north :notworthy:

But the fact remains that unless he can h******k, convince the FEO he needs an XX/xx calibre tool for shooting bunnies at over 1/2 mile???

This is either about justification, or how to get round the system?

If I'm wrong then tell me.

Can you get a calibre on your ticket for target shooting on open land???

Sorry to play devil's advocate here, but it is important to the op.

Edited by cyclonebri1

I have followed this thread with interest, not least because I am at the present finalising the build on a new long range "vermin" rifle that I would also like to be deer legal. I have almost settled on 6.5x284 but this is not set in stone. I do however fancy another 6.5 of some sort.

However it's been a while since I had a .243 which I loved and I must say that you will not be disappointed if you go for one. It was designed as a varmint round and to be honest it takes some beating. My only reason in going for the 6.5 is the greater BC and wind bucking capabilities and of course it's pretty flat shooting. That said I am not convinced weighing up the pros and cons that the .243 would not be the more sensible caliber.

The more I think about it the more I am convinced you should go for the .243. Have it set up for long range with the appropriate moa rails and mounts and find one with a twist rate that will stabilize the heavier bullets. Consider approaching a rifle smith who could find you a decent used action that wont break the bank and have it re barreled to shoot your choice of ammo, trued a little, fit a good stock and you will have a shooter. Glass wise as has been said 25 - 35 mag if poss but don't discount a decent fixed mag scope of 20x. Still be good quality optics but not being a zoom would help bring the project in to budget.

Having re read this I think I have talked myself into going exactly this route !!.

cyclonebri1

As far as vermin shooting goes, short range long range does not come into it. The OP has provided a need for his 22.250 as far as quarry is concerned, distance does not matter as far as grant is concerned.

The OP has now decided that he needs a deer legal caliber as he wishes to take up deer stalking, he expects quite rightly to also be conditioned to use it for the quarry species he already shoots with his 22.250. He has also decided to further his ability at long ranges. This is quite acceptable and the HO guidelines recommend up to 6.5 be so conditioned. The fact that the ACPO have recently recommended that deer calibers be conditioned for fox and vermin, when once the primary use for deer has been proven, goes to strengthen this assumption.

The choice of caliber for the job in hand is down to the applicant not the police, so if the applicant chooses a particular caliber over another because of it's suitability for long range shooting that's his choice. All calibers are capable of shooting long distances, it's just that some do it more accurately than others.

cyclonebri1

As far as vermin shooting goes, short range long range does not come into it. The OP has provided a need for his 22.250 as far as quarry is concerned, distance does not matter as far as grant is concerned.

The OP has now decided that he needs a deer legal caliber as he wishes to take up deer stalking, he expects quite rightly to also be conditioned to use it for the quarry species he already shoots with his 22.250. He has also decided to further his ability at long ranges. This is quite acceptable and the HO guidelines recommend up to 6.5 be so conditioned. The fact that the ACPO have recently recommended that deer calibers be conditioned for fox and vermin, when once the primary use for deer has been proven, goes to strengthen this assumption.

The choice of caliber for the job in hand is down to the applicant not the police, so if the applicant chooses a particular caliber over another because of it's suitability for long range shooting that's his choice. All calibers are capable of shooting long distances, it's just that some do it more accurately than others.

Charlie, thanks,

I was looking for that sort of answer, I just assumed, and this was from several converstions with past and even more distant past FEOs, that excessive range target shooting is frownded upon and under no circumstances would it be allowed. A quote from a few years ago; "if you want to shoot at that range you need to join a club". This was when in possesion of an open ticket and shooting many acres approved for centrefire. We do tend to believe the man in the pointy hat :whistling:

Thanks again.