Long Range Shooting

woudlnt mind a 50 cal haha, not keen though if someone else is shooting back. so what the verdict on caliber this whole long range thing is jsut in the pipeline it wont be happening this week hopefully soon though but id like too see my options, and try too get a varation sorted, si there many companys who make target specific guns or is a normal hunting rifle good enough.

liam

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

light just won't cut the mustard mate, velocity, and BC hence the 87 grain v-max then you got a long range bullet, or the 105 A-max

should be a fun summer for me :D

i know the 105 a-max are for targets but have you ever used them on live quarry? what load do you use for the 87g v-max?

i was hopeing too try somethin abit more exotic than .243 i mean if i got a .243 i may aswell sell the .22-250 or get it rebarlled in .243 and i do like too have more guns. i dont think i can afford anything huge on the scope side of things i was thinking a leupold , what sort of magnification do you need too reach out too these distances ?

liam

Seemingly, the .243AI will send a heavier load with more velocity than the standard round. Ideal for long range (up to 1000 yards) .Sounds ideal to me without going for something like a .308.

i was hopeing too try somethin abit more exotic than .243 i mean if i got a .243 i may aswell sell the .22-250 or get it rebarlled in .243 and i do like too have more guns. i dont think i can afford anything huge on the scope side of things i was thinking a leupold , what sort of magnification do you need too reach out too these distances ?

liam

Seemingly, the .243AI will send a heavier load with more velocity than the standard round. Ideal for long range (up to 1000 yards) .Sounds ideal to me without going for something like a .308.

yes indeed it will, but the bigger powder, with lead to fire cracking within the throat of the barrel with time, as the bore diameter is relatively small for such a load, barrel life is a problem too if running the .243AI at the higher end of the scale,

also the cost of the extra powder to get it there a couple of seconds quicker needs to be looked at.

a 20 MOA rail will do the job fine if you are stuck for elevation on the scope, plus if your looking at 1000 yards in reality you need a 1 in 8 twist for the bigger .243 rounds but then its just a target gun, i've opted for 1 in 9 twist and driving the 105 a-max.

but in all reality you need a good roung to be accurate at 1000 yards,

i'll be more than happy with the .243, and its what i've opted for, you could go over and over things all day and each calibre will have both merits and pitfalls, so it's down to personal choice in the end.....

let us know how it goes.

ive got the google earth up, 1000m is a huge shot , i think i should start small, can anyone recommend any good reading on the subject, also when shooting these large ranges are the shots always dialed in or can you hold over the target ?

liam

the shot's are either worked out on the mil dots, or dialed in mate, but there is little room for guesswork at these ranges,

what looks like a tiny error close could lead to your bullet heading somewhere you don't really want it to go at 1000 :blink:

your judgemnet of the wind is critical, as well as bullet drop tables,

read this for info on everything you need............. ;)

http://demigodllc.com/articles/practical-l...ting-equipment/

My choice would be to build a 6.5x284. In fact one will be my next rifle. Barrel life will be short say 800 - 1000 rounds but you can't have it all. And 1000 is a lot of deer and fox.

For accurate long range shooting hold over just wont work. You will need to dial in for wind and elevation. Good ballistic software is a must, your greatest learning curve will be learning to read the wind at extended ranges.

However, your first 500 yd rabbit will I imagine make you the happiest fella in the world.

My choice would be to build a 6.5x284. In fact one will be my next rifle. Barrel life will be short say 800 - 1000 rounds but you can't have it all. And 1000 is a lot of deer and fox.

For accurate long range shooting hold over just wont work. You will need to dial in for wind and elevation. Good ballistic software is a must, your greatest learning curve will be learning to read the wind at extended ranges.

However, your first 500 yd rabbit will I imagine make you the happiest fella in the world.

for fox and deer i would not choose the 6.5x284, if reloading and testing 800 rounds won't be long ticking up, you must have a good job!!!! any one i know who had one one these is shocked at the barrel wear.... and will be changing the calibre,

exbal and a wind meter are a must...........

ive got the google earth up, 1000m is a huge shot , i think i should start small, can anyone recommend any good reading on the subject, also when shooting these large ranges are the shots always dialed in or can you hold over the target ?

liam

I think Martins recommendation of 6Br is the way I'd go. Thinking of asking for a variation on my ticket for one, maybe when funds allow. :D

How far you want to shoot?

1000yds has gotta be targets!

Friend uses 22-250 and 22-4000 and hes taking foxes way out past 350yds.

Seen him take crows at 300yds!

And one shot etched on my mind, a hare at over 500yds!

If you can hit the target with enough energy at that distance, no reason it can't be Live targets. I'd take the exception of something such as a Deer at that distance.

But if you're talking Fox downwards with a capable bullet, why not.

SS :thumbs: