tale's of the gypsy/poacher

i met my grandfather earlier very much a country man a true romany this thread isnt to start an argument its for who are interested in old storys and old ways

i showed him my dogs he said i like them but son why you hunt i say i love it heritae all of that he said let me tell you when you got 14 children not much money you have to hunt to feed it aint fun then son you dont have the opion of jackers or pets they fed after use they were true workers 24/7 he told me they used to take bread with them he said jam sandwiches attracked deer he also kept some if the dog had fur in its mouth when police/farmer came the bread put it down there throut to get rid of fur he said they used mostly collie/grey's terrier's for bushing

he also dug to fox and badger i asked why he said when we were on the road it was hard he had farms were he was aloud on in return for a couple of days a week labour he could build stone walls and help with pest control he built a relationship with farmers they used to bring my nan milk in the morning he would help game keepers left no rubbish and the farmers always welcomed him back

hunting was a true way of life for them i eat what i hunt but this is different ferreting snering ou name it he forgot more than i know he always said only kill what you need to eat leave the rest he sold fur also worked hard

then he said look after the land the animals then there look after you he is like a red indian close to nature they respected eachother he gives silly little tips but the work they get results on get you out of trouble anyway

when i mentioned deer/fox/badger this was well before the ban

what are you story i dont mean i smashed a gate with me 4x4 and drove the land like a twat i mean old tales old tips

cheers dan :D:D:D:D:D:D

Edited by bigdan
  • Like 3

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I guess some people might find this spooky but it's not to me  When was a kid a childhood friend who started me in Hunting ,fishing died while out with his dog. not going to say how he died

i met my grandfather earlier very much a country man a true romany this thread isnt to start an argument its for who are interested in old storys and old ways i showed him my dogs he said i like the

most of the tales i get told are of the marsh(romney marsh)years ago when my old man was a boy,listening to him remember those days you can see the excitement in his eyes,tales of hares that never got

most of the tales i get told are of the marsh(romney marsh)years ago when my old man was a boy,listening to him remember those days you can see the excitement in his eyes,tales of hares that never got caught for season after season, lung busting courses,and bets that turned into fist fights and ended with everyone in the boozer.my favourite is of one of his old dogs,sam,unknown breeding and was found on the side of the road.my dad always says that everytime he ran it was like he put in the extra effort as if he were repaying him in some way,one morning on the marsh he was even with another bloke 3 apiece with 100 quid on the line,the outhe bloke says one more slip each should do it your old dogs had it,sam being a fair age by now was looking a bit worse for ware.up gets a hare the bloke slips his dog twistin n turnin old long ears straight lines him and is gone.the old man looks at sam and feels the last of his money in his pocket,long time til we get paid sam my boy he says make this run your best,hare up sams slipped up n down they go hare straight lines him but old sam finds another gear and pulls straight to him picks him up and fetches him to the old mans feet,the old man turns to the bloke who gives up the cash,but when the old man turns round old sam has laid down closed his eyes and slipped away.never had another like him he says.

• Like 2
i met my grandfather earlier very much a country man a true romany this thread isnt to start an argument its for who are interested in old storys and old ways

i showed him my dogs he said i like them but son why you hunt i say i love it heritae all of that he said let me tell you when you got 14 children not much money you have to hunt to feed it aint fun then son you dont have the opion of jackers or pets they fed after use they were true workers 24/7 he told me they used to take bread with them he said jam sandwiches attracked deer he also kept some if the dog had fur in its mouth when police/farmer came the bread put it down there throut to get rid of fur he said they used mostly collie/grey's terrier's for bushing

he also dug to fox and badger i asked why he said when we were on the road it was hard he had farms were he was aloud on in return for a couple of days a week labour he could build stone walls and help with pest control he built a relationship with farmers they used to bring my nan milk in the morning he would help game keepers left no rubbish and the farmers always welcomed him back

hunting was a true way of life for them i eat what i hunt but this is different ferreting snering ou name it he forgot more than i know he always said only kill what you need to eat leave the rest he sold fur also worked hard

then he said look after the land the animals then there look after you he is like a red indian close to nature they respected eachother he gives silly little tips but the work they get results on get you out of trouble anyway

what are you story i dont mean i smashed a gate with me 4x4 and drove the land like a twat i mean old tales old tips

my dad sounds liek he had a similar childhood to your grandad, his family was poor he saved up for weeks on end to buy a ferret. he used to bunk off school and go ferreting to feed his self. he told me one christmas there wasnt going to be a christmas dinner so he took his catapult and ventured miles to a game estate called wynyard he tried shot after shot to get a pheasant but with no luck he waited until the las pheasant dropped in bang head shot he said it dropped like a stone. this just shows you dont need the best of equipment to hunt, just a catapult and a bit of led to get yourself a pultry bird for the table :D

once he was up north when he saw the best dog he ever seen a pure courseing greyhound it missed first hare then went on to kill 7to9 hares he couldnt remember the dog was for sale for 8 pound but back then 8 pound was strong very money it was also the biggest dog he ever seen but he could russell up 4to5 pound shame

Edited by bigdan
most of the tales i get told are of the marsh(romney marsh)years ago when my old man was a boy,listening to him remember those days you can see the excitement in his eyes,tales of hares that never got caught for season after season, lung busting courses,and bets that turned into fist fights and ended with everyone in the boozer.my favourite is of one of his old dogs,sam,unknown breeding and was found on the side of the road.my dad always says that everytime he ran it was like he put in the extra effort as if he were repaying him in some way,one morning on the marsh he was even with another bloke 3 apiece with 100 quid on the line,the outhe bloke says one more slip each should do it your old dogs had it,sam being a fair age by now was looking a bit worse for ware.up gets a hare the bloke slips his dog twistin n turnin old long ears straight lines him and is gone.the old man looks at sam and feels the last of his money in his pocket,long time til we get paid sam my boy he says make this run your best,hare up sams slipped up n down they go hare straight lines him but old sam finds another gear and pulls straight to him picks him up and fetches him to the old mans feet,the old man turns to the bloke who gives up the cash,but when the old man turns round old sam has laid down closed his eyes and slipped away.never had another like him he says.

that sounds like it was some dog, brilliant wee story that

Thats brought a tear to my eye reading that

Kin ell,put a lump in my throat that did :clapper: :clapper: :blink:

my dad sounds liek he had a similar childhood to your grandad, his family was poor he saved up for weeks on end to buy a ferret. he used to bunk off school and go ferreting to feed his self. he told me one christmas there wasnt going to be a christmas dinner so he took his catapult and ventured miles to a game estate called wynyard he tried shot after shot to get a pheasant but with no luck he waited until the las pheasant dropped in bang head shot he said it dropped like a stone. this just shows you dont need the best of equipment to hunt, just a catapult and a bit of led to get yourself a pultry bird for the table :D

poached my first deer in wynyard wood over 30 years ago as a very small child with a guy who went on to be the keeper there a few years later. my dad still lives that way and everytime i drive past good memories. if it wasnt for that guy and his pals i dont think i would of learnt half of what i did in later life of fieldsports

some big posh house there now...

is it still estate???

Guest Mass_G3nocide

Nice story that mate.

a could listen to the tales of men that have been on the road all there lives all day when you listen to these men it brings home just how much you do know about dogs and poaching /coursing and just living off the land . i have spent many a time round a camp fire on different horse fairs around the uk listening to these stories

:clapper::clapper:

the story about the dog forund at the site of the road made me :cry::cry:

Edited by DIGZY