Lurchers would not be a affective way of controling such numbers FACT

Shooting them , like it or lump it is the only effective way FACT

youve not seen my dogs then FACT

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest rodsmith
we have alot of hare shoots round here,ONLY because the illegal coursers cause havoc on the partridge ground,alot of the time driving the fields AND through the gamecovers.the bags range from 100-400+ on each day.the last day we shot 124,many more got away!! theres a couple of lads on this site that come for the day and enjoyed the mass slaughter.

tramps :thumbdown::thumbdown:

towny :wankerzo4: . if you dont understand OUR countryside and just want to kill its inhabitants with no respect then leave it alone to people that do you stupid paddy twat!!

Hares in some areas are pests FACT

Lurchers would not be a affective way of controling such numbers FACT

Shooting them , like it or lump it is the only effective way FACT

youve not seen my dogs then FACT

thats me been told then, lol, go blow hot air up someone elses arse you pleb.....

we have alot of hare shoots round here,ONLY because the illegal coursers cause havoc on the partridge ground,alot of the time driving the fields AND through the gamecovers.the bags range from 100-400+ on each day.the last day we shot 124,many more got away!! theres a couple of lads on this site that come for the day and enjoyed the mass slaughter.

tramps :thumbdown::thumbdown:

towny :wankerzo4: . if you dont understand OUR countryside and just want to kill its inhabitants with no respect then leave it alone to people that do you stupid paddy twat!!

Us"Stupid Paddy Twats " musnt be that slow when we go to your country we take your jobs and look after your women they love our culture and accents so we cant be that stupid :D And we dont let Pakis take our houses, ha ha

hares should be respected like any other game/quary. IMO it is better to shoot them than sending a dog after them to chaise it and pump adrenalin through its body can you imagin the fear that it would be going through?, even if it gets away it will prob die of shock or a heart atack or somthing. Much better to be a one shot kill.. no pain, the quary is relaxed and would not even hear the bang. this is just my opinion.

I shoot rather than work running dogs, but I totally disagree with what you're saying. Unless a hare is ill I don't think any will die from a heart attack or shock when coursed, they have evolved to evade preditors by running away. Coursing in my opinion is the best way of maintaining a health hare population through natural selection. However as a method of large scale population reduction shooting is more efficiant. In an ideal world it would be one shot one kill but in reality that doesn't happen and seeing wounded hare escaping isn't a nice sight. I have been on hare shoots but now pass on them although I am not against them its just each to their own. I only now shoot them if someone wants one for the pot.

hares should be respected like any other game/quary. IMO it is better to shoot them than sending a dog after them to chaise it and pump adrenalin through its body can you imagin the fear that it would be going through?, even if it gets away it will prob die of shock or a heart atack or somthing. Much better to be a one shot kill.. no pain, the quary is relaxed and would not even hear the bang. this is just my opinion.

Do you actually live in the real world? Shooting sure as hell dont garuantee a clean kill, anybody that shoots can confirm that. Theres always occasions when shots go tits up, dodgy bullet/pellet, poor pattern etc etc. Also to make the statement that the coursed hare must be terrified and probably die of stress after shows how little you really know! The hare is a natural quarry species, natural prey. It has evolved (at this point we will have to all beleive the theory of evolution unless you beleive 'god' made all the creatures of the earth in the form they are now! lol) to evaid predators by use of its natural athletic ability, speed, stamina and agility, not to mention knowledge of IT'S home terrain intimately. Now, how good a survivor would it be if everytime a predator gave it some agro it died from stress??? Its a scientifically proven fact prey go back to doing what ever it was they were doing before beeing hunted once it has escaped the predator, predators are part and parcel of a hare's (and all other prey for that matter) life. The arctic hares in north america are very used to beeing coursed in the wild............... Arctic wolves run the hare in a very similar way to the saluki.

However, over predation can and will cause stress which can cause a hare propulation to 'die off'. That is why a good coursing man (/hunter in general) will not only hunt his land but manage it, not over hunt it etc.

Sorry if i have been a bit blunt but what you said really got my blood up. It just struck me as the exact thing that a average 'joe public' would come out with.

I Agree mubz2cool is talking out of his exit hole, I shoot but know that hares dont die after a hard course.

I have personally witnessed hares resting then feeding after being coursed as if nothing has happened.

Hare coursing weeds out the weak. its survival of the fittest, helps the hare in the long run, You could be the fastest, strongest hare in the world but couldnt out run a bullet.

But as hare coursing is banned, where the Hare needs to be controlled, shooting is the only humane way.

How the f**k have you managed to make 145 posts on these forums?????

Bad enough the anti's spewing out lies about the hunting of quarry with dogs but for someone to come on here as a fieldsports person and add to the lies from within is terrible.

You should educate yourself a bit about fieldsports before commenting. Your ignorance is amazing.

how have i made 145 posts? what you on about mate? I think you missed my point completely.. again i will reiterate for you if your a bit slow... IN.. MY...OPINION it would be better to shoot a hare with a well placed shot with minimal stress etc..YES you can muck up a shot but how often dose that happen if you have had allot of practise etc.. do you not think the hare will be worse of at the jaws of a dog? don’t tell me i need to educate myself about field sports because it was a god dam opinion, just like you may think its better to put a dog on a hare, i think its better to shoot it. I’m not against dog work at all just i would rather shoot one if I really wanted one for the pot. Can you explain how having an opinion is a lie? Maybe next time you should take some more time to read the post and understand it a bit better... :bye:

i might well be wrong about the hare Dying after being chaised ok i will accept it. it was however an opinion.. but can a coursed hare really be in better conditon than a well shot one? i do agree on that coursing is a good way for natural selection as the week/ill hares will be taken out and the healthy/fit ones will live.. this would not be achived with shooting..

Guest Rod&dog

This subject is always rasing its ugly face. :(:(

Im affraid whether we like it or not whether your a coursing man through and through or a shooting man through and through,, or you enjoy both. 'SHOOTING AND COURSING' hares will always happen whether we like it or ney :) Im affraid in this day and age hare coursing is banned therefore Hares are bieng shot to stop illegal poaching or simply beacuse its the only way to controll hares in areas where they can be a nuisence,,Now i work dogs mainly alough i do enojoy shooting.

Shooting hares does nothing for me but i dont choose to moan about another mans sport just as i wouldnt expect them to moan about mine,,Were in this game together so we should respect and look after each other.

Stop the pointless bickering. And enjoy your sport. :D

Edited by Rod&dog

Im affraid whether we like it or not whether your a coursing man through and through or a shooting man through and through,, or you enjoy both. 'SHOOTING AND COURSING' hares will always happen whether we like it or ney :) Im affraid in this day and age hare coursing is banned therefore Hares are bieng shot to stop illegal poaching or simply beacuse its the only way to controll hares in areas where they can be a nuisence,,Now i work dogs mainly alough i do enojoy shooting.

Shooting hares does nothing for me but i dont choose to moan about another mans sport just as i wouldnt expect them to moan about mine,,Were in this game together so we should respect and look after each other.

Hear, hear! :notworthy:

..and all those folk saying that coursing is inhumane, you want to get a grip. I'd expect that sort of bollocks from an animal rights activist, not supposed countrymen... :nono:

Guest Rod&dog

Hear, hear! :notworthy:

..and all those folk saying that coursing is inhumane, you want to get a grip. I'd expect that sort of bollocks from an animal rights activist, not supposed countrymen... :nono:

I agree maltenby,,Why do we worry about animal rights and such?? It seems where all against each other. What you lot need is a kick up the arse for arguing 'My sports better and more humane than your sport' shit.

Edited by Rod&dog

i always thought you were little lloyd, but with sensible posts like that then im starting to wonder ;)

Guest Rod&dog

i always thought you were little lloyd, but with sensible posts like that then im starting to wonder ;)

Al,,Sorry but you must have me confused with another member.

• 1 month later...

i find the hare is ground game,when on beats in germany he is just as likely to be shot as a pheasant,rabbit or fox.

an saying is use them or lose them.

hare are as prone to disease if they become too dense( tularimie,rhd,cocidien etc etc) and should be MANAGED as with deer and all other species we are lucky enough to have,not eradicated( if you overshoot hare they will take a few years to recover).

that hare cause damage has never been my experiance( although i have never seen them in the density reported in some posts).at most fruit trees in winter, which i have always worked out by cutting the trees in autumn and leaving the cut lie untill spring( there is less to pick up and the hare eat the bark)

as i have been in europe for a while i may be misled in thinking that there are only two species of hare in europe, lepus eurpaeus and lepus timidus the latter of which is only found in scotland, skandinavia,poland and russia ( snow hare). and is somewhat smaller than the brown hare( changes coat to white in winter? if this is not correct i would be interested to hear from you and would gladly stand corrected.

#cheers