EX BATTERY HENS

Been thinking of keeping a few hens for eggs. Called at a so called sanctuary earlier and quite frankly was disgusted by the conditions . came away with 2 out of pity . would like advice on housing and feeding.

Smallish coop will do for just 2 birds........ cheapest I've seen is in Farm & Pet or you could try fleabay ! Give em layers pellets nad some green leaf if they are to be kept penned in, if not just the pellets (organic if you can afford it......... eggs'll taste better). They'll also need water (obviously) and grit (to aid digestion, oystershell is best)

& WATCH THE FECKIN FOXES :(

ill be making coup myself . i made temporary one today , the run is 4'x4' and the house is 3'x2' . havent added perch or nest boxes yet , just put shavings down indoors . they seem happy enough . would this b large enough or should i make new one bigger? thanks .

Guest ferret feller

yer my grandpa brought 20 for like 50p each 2 years ago.... they were in the quiet words of the virgin mary...."right f****d!".........all scabby and de featered....full of parisites and shit... scared of light even!

well after lice spray good food good dust bath safe place too stay... he let them out ofcourse half died within a week fox knew the score the hens didnt know anything about foxes....

i think he has 3 left dont lay anymore though :laugh: just potter about with the rest but i dont think he wants more retard chickens... way too much work for them...

yer my grandpa brought 20 for like 50p each 2 years ago.... they were in the quiet words of the virgin mary...."right f****d!".........all scabby and de featered....full of parisites and shit... scared of light even!

well after lice spray good food good dust bath safe place too stay... he let them out ofcourse half died within a week fox knew the score the hens didnt know anything about foxes....

i think he has 3 left dont lay anymore though :laugh: just potter about with the rest but i dont think he wants more retard chickens... way too much work for them...

to be fair these dont look to bad . they been out for a month so theyve learnt to walk and stuff . feathers are nearly all back , just a bit dirty looking . 1 has layed this afternoon . it will be a brave fox who comes in my garden . my staffie and bull greyhound may have something to say about it lol ;)

There the best Hens to get mate. They should be allready jabbed up and should be under 12 months. They will start laying then stop for a few weeks then Start again with plenty of eggs for you and yours! I've around 50 at the mo. MRD.

There the best Hens to get mate. They should be allready jabbed up and should be under 12 months. They will start laying then stop for a few weeks then Start again with plenty of eggs for you and yours! I've around 50 at the mo. MRD.

thanks for comments . what do u think about the coup size i mentioned above ? as ive limited space .

Edited by brassneck

Last summer we bought 120 off a farm, and soon picked up and feathered well, wasn't long before we were getting an average of 90 to 95 eggs a day which we sell in the shop nice big eggs too, in fact most don't fit in the egg cartons we got to sell them in

SANY0201.jpg

SANY0206.jpg

How many hens you thinking of? For the 50 Warrens/ Hybreds I have, the house is 12ft long - 8ft wide - 6ft-7ft high. The run they have is approx 1/4 acre. MRD.

well i have 2 and dont expect to have many more . certainly not 50 lol . i live in an urban area and my garden is small to say the least . the run i made is 4'x4' there house is in a shed but only 2'x3' . they will be able to roam garden but only for an odd hour when dogs are locked up . as i say ive limited space so unable to go much bigger than above . what do u think ?

Last summer we bought 120 off a farm, and soon picked up and feathered well, wasn't long before we were getting an average of 90 to 95 eggs a day which we sell in the shop nice big eggs too, in fact most don't fit in the egg cartons we got to sell them in

SANY0201.jpg

SANY0206.jpg

great pictures :clapper: wish i had a bit more room .

I've got four hens mate and there in an ex dogs kennal that i converted, and its not much bigger than the one you.ve got and they have being doing good. There about seven months old now and havent got any eggs yet. But thats to be expected due to the weather, they need more daylight. Haven't got round to putting in a light yet.

Coup size seems perfect enough mate,would recommend you put in nesting boxes they wont always lay there but its good for them in bad weather to be higher off the ground. They hate damp air aswell mate.

thanks for that advice mate . will b making better house tomororow . the floor is the concrete shed base would you suggest raising it off concrete a few inches then ?