fox lamping

Have been doing a fair bit of fox lamping on my own just recently- from a vehicle.

Use hand held torch to scan and then have a rubbish clulite strapped to an office desk lamp (bendy thing) fixed to a fishing rod holder! It has worked in the past but is not very good (flimsy and not that bright)!

Does anyone know of a device where i can scan by hand and then snap the torch onto the car once i have seen a fox?

I feel a one torch system would be less hassle....

It also needs to have some degree of movement once attached as well.

Asking a lot i know, but any thoughts would help!

Have been doing a fair bit of fox lamping on my own just recently- from a vehicle.

Use hand held torch to scan and then have a rubbish clulite strapped to an office desk lamp (bendy thing) fixed to a fishing rod holder! It has worked in the past but is not very good (flimsy and not that bright)!

Does anyone know of a device where i can scan by hand and then snap the torch onto the car once i have seen a fox?

why not just get a scope mounted lamp.

why not just get a scope mounted lamp.

Thought about this- if i can't find the right thing i may well use a scope mounted lamp. Just would rather not have anything else to get in the way. I would have to scan with the lamp not attached to the scope and attaching it again is another time waste and hassle which could be the difference in getting the fox or not!

The answer to this is to have two lamps but then there starts to be quite a lot going on with wires etc!

i do all of my fox lamping on foot. i use a striker scope mounted lamp to scan for a fox, if i see 1 i switch off the lamp , put the rifle down on the bipod and attach the lamp to the gun. from seeing the fox to having the lamp mounted on the gun and getting down onto the bipod takes about 10 seconds.

No worries about being nicked- car is parked on farm overnight and it looks like it would take about 5 seconds to take off if needed.

that looks pretty good ian, do you know if i just attach the hand held lamp i have already to it? In the picture it looks as if the light has no handle and is perhaps specially adapted for that device?

No worries about being nicked- car is parked on farm overnight and it looks like it would take about 5 seconds to take off if needed.

that looks pretty good ian, do you know if i just attach the hand held lamp i have already to it? In the picture it looks as if the light has no handle and is perhaps specially adapted for that device?

Archie, they are great tools, and you never need to worry about leaking roofs on your vehicle! You would also need to buy a standard roof mount setup, the picture shows a lightforce blitz, but the cheaper strikers are also good enough for most situations.

Ferret feller is just being daft, as the suction roof lamp is only on the vehicle when lamping, so theft is not an issue!

I would strongly advise a scope mounted lamp aswell if your alone, as sods law will have it, the bloody fox will move just before you shoot, leaving the beam, and meaning you have to fumble about, putting the rifle down, and getting the lamp back on it, just for it to do it again....

I learnt to hold a hand held lamp alongside the rifle and shoot fairly well, takes a wee bit of practice, but its do-able.

Good luck