just came in from work and my patterdales belly is blown up like a balloon,it is visably bloated and rock solid, shes going straight to the vets on tuesday if her condition dont improve tomorow, she hasnt had anything diffrent to eat that i know of but my perants do have a tendancy to lie about what they have been feeding/doing with them while im at work......she still is acting normally but looks alarmingly bloated

anyone know of anything i can give her to help clear it up?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

shal do in the morning, see what they say but just wondering if there was anything food wise i could give her

Bloat is something i have a great interest in, and I have been to countless veterinary seminars on the topic. Infact only today I have been in discussions with the military over how they are trying to reduce incidents of it in patrol dogs. If its bloat, then its one of the very few true veterinary emergencies. If its bloat there is a good chance your dog will be dead in hours and there is notime to hesitate....get to a vet now! if she starts to twist then she has had it basically, iunless you get it to a vet in minutes....even then theres not a good success rate.

to helpt try to prevent further attacks, take simple precautions such as not feedin/excercising within an hour of each other, feeding 2 smaller meals a day instead of one larger, feeding a higher quality food, pre soaked (if you feed dry), and avoid fast bolting of food when eating, avoid stressfull situations. All these things can help reduce the chances of a further torsion episode. I have a lot of interesting papers and advise if you want it pm me.

No one can make that judgement but you...You are the one with the animal.

But it's easier to get the vet out at 7.30pm than 2.30am.

Ring them and ask to speak to the vet, let him make the call, because if it is bloat, and you dont do anything about it, you will never forgive yourself..

Ring them and ask to speak to the vet, let him make the call, because if it is bloat, and you dont do anything about it, you will never forgive yourself..

i shal sleep down stairs tonight with phone in hand as minor versions of this have appened before but nothing like this

i shal sleep down stairs tonight with phone in hand as minor versions of this have appened before but nothing like this

im not sure why people ask for advise and then dont take it??!! :angry: I know about bloat and i have tried to tell you what to do. I feel sorry for your dog if thats how little you value it. :(

im not sure why people ask for advise and then dont take it??!! :angry: I know about bloat and i have tried to tell you what to do. I feel sorry for your dog if thats how little you value it. :(

Totally agree with you something as serious as possible bloat should be seen to asap not in a few days when its to late

Lost my gwp last yr to bloat :( You have a very short window time wise to get them to the vet. Unfortunately mine was with my ex and he rang to say the dogs being weird.. hes jumping about and rolling around and stretching and digging damn big holes in the garden what shall I do? I sent them to the vets and they got there about 45 mins after the symptoms started and he collapsed and died on the surgery floor :( You DONT have time to sit there pondering sorry but its that serious.. Good luck