• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So lads ,, heres 1 to get it going how to stock break!!!

I just simply show them there future enviroment from a young age on leash of course .

let them c fences animals tracktors and so on !!!

atb

Anythingoes!

good photo thats how everyones dogs should be

thanks for replies ! ;)

i usually go about it by locking the dog in a enclosed area with a grumpy ewe or a big tup........you only need to do it once!

ducks,geese,hens....i let them go for them once,they get i hiding and they dont do it again

your wright thare you will only have to lock your dog in with a tup once becouse thares a good chance your dog will be off work for along time with burst ribs

ah no you keep an eye out just most dogs find a sheep that will dominate them sh*t scary and never do it again, prefered to use that old pet ewe we used to have, used to lie on the lawn with the collies when it was a lamb at my mates house so was well used to putting dogs in there place......such a shame it died this summer was a great sheep for stock breaking with as it wernt scared of any dog but wouldnt hurt them just give them one but with its head every time they got too cocky

i usually go about it by locking the dog in a enclosed area with a grumpy ewe or a big tup........you only need to do it once!

ducks,geese,hens....i let them go for them once,they get i hiding and they dont do it again

your wright thare you will only have to lock your dog in with a tup once becouse thares a good chance your dog will be off work for along time with burst ribs

ah no you keep an eye out just most dogs find a sheep that will dominate them sh*t scary and never do it again, prefered to use that old pet ewe we used to have, used to lie on the lawn with the collies when it was a lamb at my mates house so was well used to putting dogs in there place......such a shame it died this summer was a great sheep for stock breaking with as it wernt scared of any dog but wouldnt hurt them just give them one but with its head every time they got too cocky

as long as it works ,,, thats what counts :victory:

yeah my terrier used to lick its face, suposedly its a submisive behaviour

Every dog I have had has been stockbroken, horse as well as farm animals. Any introductions to me neighbours freerange poultry at an early age also sorts them out on that score. Put any pup up against a Chinese Goose Gander, doesn't leave your heel for the rest of the day.

I live surrounded by sheep farms. Every dog is taken up to the lambing pens a couple of times each year, doesn't matter how old they are, just for a refresher. Grumpy old blacky cross ewe with lambs at foot, will give a pushy pup more grief than a tup. A ewe just has to stamp it's foot and mine are straight into heel. It also helps in that local farmers see me out with the running dogs and don't worry. Not a farm around I cannot lamp, just have to share.

I'm a bit late doing this with my bitch, now 14 months. I don't drive, and the kids were a bit young over the summer months to trek them up to the sheep. Then, I got cold feet about doing it and thought, since I've never had to stock break an animal in my life (city girl) I would bugger it up so I kept putting it off.

Then I got two chickens, just before Christmas. And in two short sharp lessons (with a flexible stick and the Voice of Doom), she was made to understand. I was a bit chuffed with myself to be honest. Now I can throw her ball in the garden and she goes nowhere near the chickens, even when they're flapping and clucking in panic, or pecking corn from around her feet.

So last week the sheep training began. Through the gate and away she went .... right to the end of her 30 foot line and then she snapped back like rag doll! Another short sharp lesson. I bollocked her once more for pricking her ears up at them and after that she wouldn't walk near them or look at them.

I'll be doing it quite a bit more before I trust her but at least I've made a start.

Have an ex-racing grey that didn't make the grade. Re-homed at 18months and brought in by OH. Way too excited by white fluffy things. Put him in his muzzle and introduced him to a an old ewe with lambs. Sorted out in two minutes. Just letting them have a run in the park or whatever he still has to run in a Muzzle as he gets too excited and tries for a grip. Dogs that is not sheep.

Edited by Jim Grant
I like to tie mine to the leg of a sheep, cow etc and let it get dragged round the field for a bit that usually works :)

av never heard of that way how long have you been in to dogs mate and how do you get hold of a cow to tie the dog to it to me thats just plain stupid

Not very long mate but it's dead easy! I'm like the dog whisperer only with cows....dosn't have to be a cow mind any live stock will do just sneak up on them when theyre lying down and slip a noose around its leg or tail ...skelp it on the arse with a jaggy branch and watch it go... the dog will never ever bother with livestock after that :) Trust me!

ha haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ha aha thats done me man bud 9 you nutter,hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!! ive stopped all that now undisputed i had trouble finding the jaggy branches lol. :notworthy:

I like to tie mine to the leg of a sheep, cow etc and let it get dragged round the field for a bit that usually works :)

av never heard of that way how long have you been in to dogs mate and how do you get hold of a cow to tie the dog to it to me thats just plain stupid

Not very long mate but it's dead easy! I'm like the dog whisperer only with cows....dosn't have to be a cow mind any live stock will do just sneak up on them when theyre lying down and slip a noose around its leg or tail ...skelp it on the arse with a jaggy branch and watch it go... the dog will never ever bother with livestock after that :) Trust me!

ha haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ha aha thats done me man bud 9 you nutter,hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!! ive stopped all that now undisputed i had trouble finding the jaggy branches lol. :notworthy:

I have a whole box full mate you can have one if you need it :tongue2:

• 2 weeks later...

I have a whole box full mate you can have one if you need it :tongue2:

some good and bad points here but keep them coming

atb anythingoes ;)

I usually introduce them at the first possible chance,just after theyre vacinated.Then I keep repeating the interaction till its a regular occurance.By the time the dog is 6 months old the sheep should be looked upon by the dog as his oul pal.....or just a common sight and nothing to be alarmed at.Theres no excuse for not introducing a working dog to livestock seeing hes going to be spending most if not all of his life amongst them.

DSCF0248.jpg

DSCF0244.jpg

SSL20208.jpg

Photo20.jpg

nice pics jigsaw :clapper::clapper: , well done

:clapper::clapper::clapper::laugh::laugh: your mad mate very good lol

lamp

• 3 months later...
just as above and if you get one a little stubourn febuary and lambs bring agressive mothers theyle sort a pup.

pretty much the same for the lurcher/terrier but for the hounds it has to be a littlemore serious as when they are competing if they even look at a sheep they lose their permit, so we actually ensure they are afraid of sheep rather than looking at them as their friends.

Good point, ive had lurchers 25 years, and done the same[ ensure they are afraid of sheep] by [Discipline] that they dont even look at the sheep. :o . But this time i done it differnt with my young dog. I let him look, and get right in with them. I want him to be [Oblivious] to them, and it seems work. So you can still learn something every day. ;);)