Begginer Lurcher Training

You should never push a pups back down so it's has to sit, take a treat raise it over the dogs head you may have to go as far back as it's neck,while tucking its back legs in or holding your hand behind the dog to stop it backing up, it may take several attempts but at least your not straining the dogs joints and muscles by pushing on its back,

• 3 weeks later...

The orders a bit weird recall comes first and is the building block for the retrieve, along with the pup knowing its name. Then I use a WATCH command, as if the dog isn't watching YOU it's harder to progress with sit, stay, leave,blind stay, retrieve, wait etc. I suppose we all do it different and expect different things from a dog. There are so many variables also, is the pup food motivated, toy motivated, basically what makes it tick? The real art is assessing the dog and using the appropriate training plan in my opinion, there is no one manual that suits all.

I dislike any physical contact such as hitting, get to a dog using its mind, he needs to trust you and be your best mate for the partnership to work best.

Good luck Sirius

Edited by Sirius
  • Like 2

Hey I've not long had my lurcher she's 6mnth almost and she has a pretty solid recall alone and isn't to bad when distracted now knows sit and down commands well but the retrieve is another story she'll chase a toy but then gets to it looks and comes straight back, i know what makes her tick she is mega food/treat orientated which I'm guessing she gets from the 1/4 lab in her but I'm stumped on why she doesn't pick up and come back, any advice would be great

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I can't believe how many folk can say that this info is brilliant and really helpfull...for instance.. i have got my first dog and that is just what i needed to read.. :cray: .. fair play to the thread starter for trying to help out.. :victory: .. but that is a load of bollock's.. :yes: ...no two dog's are the same what is good for one will ruin another.. unless you are lucky you will only ever learn with hand's on experience and by going out with good genuine lad's who live for the sport..a lot of common sense is also needed.. but sadly that is in short supply in this current climate..

Anyone who is thinking of getting a lurcher should really do there research and homework long before getting a puppy and if you have done it right you will find the info above a pointless waste of your life reading it.. :yes: ..

My dog is 12wk's old and pulling on the lead pulling on the lead how do i stop it...my dog tries to bite me when i go near it's food.. my dog lick's it's arse after a shit..the list of rubbish is endless.. research and research till you can't research anymore and remember the new pup you have may live till it's 14 + yr's old...

I could go on forever but it does boil my piss at time's reading the rubbish on here.. it's just aswell they is also some good stuff to read otherwise i would slit my wrist's after 1hr on here.. :D

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...