Sign in to follow this  
martin

Step by step guide to butchering a deer..........

Thanks for this post Martin. This is such an informative one. It seems that you have the best hands to do this stuff.

This really helps in giving a step by step process of how to have great cuts until the very best little cuts.

Good job!

cheers mate, i have learned a lot off u! my previous atempts at butchery have left a lot to be desired, and after readin your post i can safely say i have been doin it all ass about face!! I cant wait for my next deer, to try out your methods!

Just spotted this, what a great post!

I use the offal to make venison haggis, it's so much better than the commercially bought sheepy stuff! Also occasionally I chop a heart into small slivers and oven dry them as training treats for the dog.

One thing I do differently (and I know everyone has different ways) is instead of splitting the pelvis and then separating the H bone from the haunches, I split the haunches from the pelvis with it still attached to the spine. It just makes getting to the ball and socket joint that much easier with something to lever against.

Also, boning the joints is optional. I always leave the bone in because I feel that meat cooked on the bone has more flavour to it. Just personal taste really, neither method is "correct" it's purely down to how you feel.

Still a fantastic, well thought out and well executed post. It must have taken an age to do, well done Martin!

Brilliant topic Martin ,really interesting and very illustrated ,all credit to you man .

Martin knows his stuff :thumbs:

fantastic info there mate , great to see such indepth information so as not to waste any of the kill

keep up the good work :thumbs:

Excelent photos an indepth write up martin

i will be trying your way next time. will even try boning the the legs, like its been said before less space in the freezer. and i sure the woofer would like the bones

cheers

Niel

Excellent post mate. How long do you hang a deer before you butcher it, as there seems to be very little blood in the pics.

:thumbs: