Step by step guide to butchering a deer..........

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Step by step guide to butchering a deer.......   Postby re'M'ington on Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:49 pm Right,I have put this together so it might be of help to someone while they are trying to butcher the

well done that will help a lot of members i no it will help me in the future   thanks mate

I am going out to get me a deer

Nice one, where was you when I first got Lambs? I must say my own self tought methods are almost identical (on deer that is) except the boning of the back leg where I leave the bone whole and I seem to use my clever for more than I should. :rolleyes:

Edited by leegreen

I have yet to hear back from the bloke,but,thanks for reminding me mate,I will ring him Monday.

As for the 'Silverfish' mate,it has been a hectic culling season,and,here are a few pics of the quarry................

Here is a right and left I had recently,both headshot.........

rightandleft.jpg

And,here is a very good specimen head I took that was way off,I used the rangefinder and it was almost 8 inches away,I took that one because he was lame..........

silverfish.jpg

Y.I.S. martin.

8 inches from the lazzy band mate ,that has to be a pb i know .Great trophy there mate .You will have to take me to some of those silver fish spots you covert so much .They are few and far between around us thanks to the pros at 'em constantly [and you know who you are ].Anyway mate ,may all your fish be silver and see you soon for a lazzy night out .

Martin

Only just seen this, very useful, seems we all have our own ways of doing things but always interesting to see how others approach the subject, some useful and interesting tips/suggestions here..I've learnt something new!! :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Martin,

Brand new to this site from the US. I do all of my own butchering and grinding of whitetails and I have to tell you I learned a thing or two from this post. Fantastic work. Breaking the joints rather than using a bone saw is the way to go, amazing how many people here I cannnot convince of that. Also I use every conceivable scrap for ground meat, necks, everything. Lots of those are wasted here in the US, I just can't bring myself to waste it.

You don't mention heart, liver, etc. What do you guys do with it in the UK. I used to eat organ meat but due to the high cholesterol content of organ meat it now goes to my lab, and my dropper, pointer/setter cross, great for their diet and coat. Again, we don't waste much of God's bounty.

Any way, great piece.

US Woodsman