Step by step guide to butchering a deer..........

• 1 month later...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Step by step guide to butchering a deer.......   Postby re'M'ington on Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:49 pm Right,I have put this together so it might be of help to someone while they are trying to butcher the

well done that will help a lot of members i no it will help me in the future   thanks mate

I am going out to get me a deer

cheers mate, i have learned a lot off u! my previous atempts at butchery have left a lot to be desired, and after readin your post i can safely say i have been doin it all ass about face!! I cant wait for my next deer, to try out your methods!

• 1 year later...

Just spotted this, what a great post!

I use the offal to make venison haggis, it's so much better than the commercially bought sheepy stuff! Also occasionally I chop a heart into small slivers and oven dry them as training treats for the dog.

One thing I do differently (and I know everyone has different ways) is instead of splitting the pelvis and then separating the H bone from the haunches, I split the haunches from the pelvis with it still attached to the spine. It just makes getting to the ball and socket joint that much easier with something to lever against.

Also, boning the joints is optional. I always leave the bone in because I feel that meat cooked on the bone has more flavour to it. Just personal taste really, neither method is "correct" it's purely down to how you feel.

Still a fantastic, well thought out and well executed post. It must have taken an age to do, well done Martin!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Excelent photos an indepth write up martin

i will be trying your way next time. will even try boning the the legs, like its been said before less space in the freezer. and i sure the woofer would like the bones

cheers

Niel

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...