HAs anyone used the humane game dispatchers ( I think the brand is Armadillo) They are Like a plier type arrangement that you uputh ebird's head in , beak down and when you close the handle it puts a spike through the back of the bird's head. it's supposed to be humane and kill instantly. I'm not keen on spinning a pheasant round by its neck until it breaks. Happy to wring the neck but if the dispatcher is quicker/kinder I might get one.

Any thoughts?

I don't think pliers would work mate, these pincer type pliers pinch through the vertebrae and dislocate it as opposed to crushing it. I'm sure the outcome would be the same but the force needed to crush the neck with pliers would be a lot greater.

Do you mean these things:

post-4425-1232113058.jpg

I think they are a good bit of kit :yes: saves pulling the head off pigeons, pheasants and chickens etc.. a good efficient tool imo.

these are the plier type not the armadillo ones thes are the ones the ministry use i worked in an egg farm when the salmonalla scare broke out in the space of a week we had to kill over 500000 hens the ministry came along to check we where being humane they used the dispatch tool iused my hands i was doing about 8 hens to there 1 and in a shed of 30000 hens i only had 2 that lived and 21 that the heads came off

An injured bird is already suffering, using hands will shorten the time of suffereing because as 'Claybusers Al' pointed out it's quicker to perform, even if not always quite so quick to kill. I suspect there is very little in it anyway if you wring the bird's neck correctly.

I love the term "kinder kill". If you know what you're doing you can pick a bird up off the ground firmly by the head and in one quick spin sever the spinal cord and break the neck. A body might quiver but that is going to happen no matter what you do, including decapitating the bird. Wringing a bird's neck properly results in instant paralysis. The total amount of time from when you touch it until it is finished should be no more than a few seconds. All that is required is that the person doing it know what they are doing. That shouldn't be too much to ask. There's no sense in carrying around gimmicks when you were born with the best tools to dispatch a bird, your hands. People on both sides of the pond like to talk about this subject and the discussion runs from stomping on the head with a boot or gun butt, cracking the bird's head against a gun stock, tree, or log, or squeezing different areas until the bird suffocates. You will be doing yourself and the bird a favor if you go ahead and learn to do it right. A larger bird takes a more aggressive snap while the same force applied to a dove or small pigeon will leave you holding nothing but a head. Once you have done a few you will have a feel for it. Like I said in the first post, any bird up to a duck (or down to a snipe) is so easy to dispatch it's hard to figure out why anyone would need anything else. While you're still trying to punch a hole through the poor bird's head I've already administered the coup de grace and put the dead bird in my game bag. It's harder to get "kinder" than that when killing something.

Skip

Edited by Les Becassines

interesting points, many thanks.

Up to now I have used my hands and the technique as described by Les Becassines.

I havent had a problem, except with one mallard that for some reason the techniwue didn't work.

It may have been slip of technique on my part but it got me thinking if there were a better way.

The other reason was tha there are two footpaths across the area where I had shot this duck and I was conscious that non-shooting members of the public might not react too favourably to spinning a brd by its neck, so was thinking of more disrcete methods.

Thanks for the feedback.