Can anyone tell me which type is the best layers and also has the best eggs? silly question I know but I have 6 Hen Silkie Bantams here and their eggs are pretty tasteless. I keep the silkies to start Hawk eggs off for me before I finish them off in the Incubator but do eat the eggs they lay too....

I now want to get a few chickens mainly for Good eating eggs and for the table, I used to get some Free range eggs off a old lady a few years back which was full of flavor and a good percentage double yolkers but have no idea what variety they was....

Any advice would be apreciated :thumbs:

Jasper

Buy young chickens, (point of lay approx 6 months) "the ones i bought had no teeth" be sure to check there teeth :laugh::laugh: : ,lol

Any laying breed will do for you, and all the eggs will taste similar if kept in similar conditions.

Leghorns(my first choise, and white eggs), black rock, rhode island red, isa brown, maran(dark egg), welsummer.

Best tasting eggs are from free range birds that are allowed over a large and varied area. imo

You can't beat leghorns the many hybrid strains of red hen might lay more in the first year but they don't have as long a laying career. Plus i've never known a leg horn (large fowl) go broody so eggs all year round.

my two best layers are my Turken and my blue Andalusian (who I accidentally poisoned last month :( )

Turkens look horrible to some people, but they are really cold and heat hardy, mines eggs are very light brown and she lays pretty much every day, sometimes twice a day. Kye wants me to put a scarf on ours :rolleyes:

IMG_1789.jpg

the blue Andalusians eggs are white and smaller than the other hens her same size, but she is similar to the Turken and almost lays as many eggs a week as the Turken does. And they are lovely to look at!

various071.jpg

Many thanks all for the top advice :victory:.

I was tempted to get some eggs in and blast them in the Incubator but if the point of lay is 6 months it'll be a long wait. I'll take the advice and hopefully be able to get a mix of whats been mentioned of some grown ons <Poults> from Swaffham poultry auction! I'll also try and make sure they have some teeth Lurcher123 ;).....

Much apreciated Advice

Jasper