might seem like a silly question but could a few chickens live alongside guinea fowl on a pheasant shoot,

would they do any harm ...

They actually do alot of good mate. If you put them in the pens when you release the poults they help the poults to roost quickly. :D

just the reply i was hoping for is there a preferable breed to use mate ..

might seem like a silly question but could a few chickens live alongside guinea fowl on a pheasant shoot,

They actually do alot of good mate. If you put them in the pens when you release the poults they help the poults to roost quickly. :D

Dont think so mate a chicken is a chicken. Think we used 'leghorns' of some description but dont quote me on that. As i say a chicken is a chicken to me. Oh and once the poults are up and about the chicken doesn't half taste bad either. :thumbs:

Dont think so mate a chicken is a chicken. Think we used 'leghorns' of some description but dont quote me on that. As i say a chicken is a chicken to me. Oh and once the poults are up and about the chicken doesn't half taste bad either. :thumbs:

spot on thanks for your help mate all the best......

spot on thanks for your help mate all the best......

get yourself a few banties,then when your pheasants, lay put your eggs under the hens when they go broody,

I would suggest using silks as there are some of the best broody hens, you can put them in a box with some eggs and within a few hours they will sit on them and rear the chicks for you. A lot of old gamekeepers use to use them before incubators became more common.

chickens and guinea fowl do live well together ive had um together for years and the broodies have hatched tha guinea eggs and reared them,any chickens will go with pheasants just watch the cocks they can dominate at feed times.

Edited by doga
chickens and guinea fowl do live well together ive had um together for years and the broodies have hatched tha guinea eggs and reared them,any chickens will go with pheasants just watch the cocks they can dominate at feed times.

thanks for your help mate...

• 2 weeks later...
I would suggest using silks as there are some of the best broody hens, you can put them in a box with some eggs and within a few hours they will sit on them and rear the chicks for you. A lot of old gamekeepers use to use them before incubators became more common.

Silkies are good broodies but silky cross are best, as silkies feathers can mat up and chicks get caught in them. If you use a sussex the chicks on the first cross are coloured dependant on sex, cocks white hens buff so if you want you can only keep the hens. Welsummers will be as good as any or if you can get some, Hamburghs as these are hardy and good forages.

Silkies are good broodies but silky cross are best, as silkies feathers can mat up and chicks get caught in them. If you use a sussex the chicks on the first cross are coloured dependant on sex, cocks white hens buff so if you want you can only keep the hens. Welsummers will be as good as any or if you can get some, Hamburghs as these are hardy and good forages.

thanks for your help mate..