Deerhounds and deerhound crosses

this is my pup. dam is deerhound/greyhoundx bull. sire is a bedlingtonx greyhound

i think looking at the pix and reading the details of most dogs in this thread, the actual percentage of deerhound in them is doing nothing more than adding a bit of grey wiry coat!!! :whistling: and probably not really contributing in any way to their working characteristics. Mine are/have been all either pure bred or are 1/16 greyhound.....and therefore i think my points in my earlier post are valid , pertaining to the OP.

i actually saw the deerhound/greyhound grand dam of my pup lamp she was a fast bitch also a lovely dog. i wish i had some pics to put up of her . my pup resembles her quite some bit. im hoping some of the traits will be inherited

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats great matie, always best to say things from experience..then no one can say your wrong.. :thumbs:

Ive said for years the best working deerhound stock is now outside the UK..

gday mate, where would you say the best deerhound blood is?? def not australia, too many showies breeding them here too, only 3 real working kennels in australia i know of and they are having a hard time breeding good dogs as they need to use other blood from showies at some point too

staghounds here are IMO the real deal

Picture038.jpg

Here's my DeerhoundXGreyhound that had 10 years ago, He was a great dog on larger quarry, too big and stiff (I found him to be very un-flexable in comparison to my Salukis) at 29" for rabbiting, he was never marked by fox in the time I had him (I bought him as 3 year old and lost in hunting accident about 2 years later) and he took plenty on the lamp and in fox drives and more a few lucky encounters. He was a very fast, hard dog by all account and had a wonderful nature in the house, his down side he ran like a grey with very little thinking and suffered from bad feet.

I wouldnt be without mine grate personality and the best companion quick to learn but late to mature he is 27tts and is deerhound x collie greyhound he is 2 on st patricks day and is only just entered on lamp a month ago partly due to bringing stich on wich is my younger dog but he was more mentaliy and phisicaly mature at 12 month old but paddy has had 4 rabbits wich he did retrieve effortlessly he hasnt had an injury but has ran a rabbit full bore into a football net wich they usaly take off on a night but typical they left it on the night I took paddy out. At home he is very soft in his behaviour you only have to look at him wrong and he cry's but when he is out his attitude grows and so do his ball's he has had two ferral cats now as well wich he killed with ease and addmitedly by accident his mother was a working deerhound and so was all his mothers ancestors and she came from ireland.

post-26892-1231689643_thumb.jpg

post-26892-1231689695_thumb.jpg

post-26892-1231689743_thumb.jpg

had a deerhound/grey beardie/grey boss dog would kill anything (including dogs unfortunatly) had bad feet but was certainly no wimp or winger, and at 30" was still nimble enough to kill bunnys, took alot of varous game with him over the years but snapped his neck on a hare, luckily enough had bread him to a half cross bull/grey just before he died to bring down the size, improve feet and make a more robust dog, it worked to plan but the bitch i kept back is a little crazy to say the least, she just goes at everything head first and your heart is in your mouth every time she runs, but all being said i would definatly like to keep to this stamp of dog, but choose your pup carefully theres alot of shite around as has already been said

• 1 month later...
I like to bring in a bit of Breardie to annd brains to the mix.

Sounds an interesting cross Jim :whistling:

One of my half x deer/greys

_DSC3144-31.jpg

_DSC3122-10.jpg

I have two deer x's one of them is a good age, I have always found them to have very good feet :)