Help with thugs and the LAW

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mixed coments there guys - thanks to everyone, after all it's views and details on the law i wanted.

As i said in the 1st post it was one of those times where you dont really have time to think, you just act, glad i didn't just grab the rifle and do what i felt like really doing - inbetween the eyes of both of them!

for those who read and coment that 'the fact you even thought about it' etc, we all think of doing things pre and post haste but thinking is fine in my book, actions would be a different thing!

none of us are :angel: 's .....

Cheers all.

remember the farmer who shot the intruders , dont listen to stupid comments . if you was coming from a shoot and had the gun in your hand maybe ( and it is a BIG maybe) but knowingly taking it into batlle so to speak you would end up in the shite.

either way i hope they get them as a lot of horse thiefs always seem to get away with it

Tony Martin was only prosecuted because he shot them in the back, they were in retreat. If he had shot them in the front, they would have claimed reasonable force, in those particular circumstances.......

He had reached the end of his tether after several break-ins...

Even the thought of you thinking that way sends a shiver down my spine,If your that way inclined to go and get your gun,you are better off not having one at all.

Does anyone remember that guy tony martin shooting at the pikeys breaking into his house.

anyway think about the consequences,

Im sure a few geese would be a better option,Noisey as hell,great at spotting anyone better than a cheap alarm

Sorry but you're way off there. The law is f***ing rubbish in this country, ethically, I'm taking the heaviest, nastiest gun I have. The thieves will be dealt with - by that I mean ideally detained, failing that asked to leave. However, if I am about to be set upon, they're having it.

And I find the current situation, where I am not allowed to prepare for a potentially life-threatening encounter, absolutely, utterly ludicrous.

Effectively, you have to be hit, attacked or whatever before you can deal with them? It's mad, and another reason on my very long list of reasons to move to the USA.

by taking your gun you commit an offence as with anything considered a weapon as it is a firearm it would a seriouse offence even if you got into a fight with them if you got the upper hand that is asault with cctv you may be able to prove otherwise but this would be a lengthy process which in the meantime you would lose your rifle yes the law is an ass. as a keeper i was shot at on various occasions with air rifles rimfire and centre fire shotguns and even a crossbow i lost two dogs being shot 1 german shepherd and 1 american pit bull (pre ban) the bull was a crossbow bolt i never once took a gun with me just the dogs i was adviced by a PC off the record that if i set the dog on someone that is an offence even if in fear of my own safety but if the lead or chain they where on was to break there was nothing could be done so the lead i took was always in two bits

Same happened to me three weeks ago heard the neighbours alarm going off surprprised 2 burglars in his back yard he was working away had my 2 terriers on double lead let them loose they chased em but as they were coupled together couldnt quite nab em one tripped and banged his head but was up like greased lightening pity the dogs couldnt grab hold :wallbash: Anyway when the copper arrived the next day Iasked him the legal situation if the dogs had latched on he said all I needed to say was the dogs pulled the lead from my hand end of story

Edited by rob.i

Despite the law being ridiculous in this country, which it is, Criminals often getting the higher hand than the victim.

If you took, or even threatened to take a firearm to this sort of situation, its an offense, end of.

The very least, you would lose your FAC.

The worst, if you took it and threatened them, 10 years in prison if convicted.

Best not in the scheme of things I think??

SS :thumbs:

advise the owner to get a mastiff.

taking any weapon into a situation like that would only serve to get u in the crap. just look at tony martin, shoots a couple of p***y lads that had stolen from his property several times and he ends up the one in the nick. if i remember rightly the surviving scum even sued him :censored:

All the best advice has been given, never threaten anyone with any weapon. I once watched two prats keying my car halfway down a country lane. Trouble is I was watching them from 200 yds away through the scope in near dark. I did resist, but oh the temptation. Had I had the shotdgun with me I would have cracked on into the air just to disturb them, but a moderated .22 doesn't have the same effect.

Back on subject what is the legal situation with regards to using one of those 12g blank firing trip wire jobbies in such a situation?

Would scare the shit out of any intruder and bring out all the neighbours.

Guest Mass_G3nocide

When someone broke into our yard with a 4x4 trying to steal diesel my grandad shot out there tyres with a 12g they never came back and a few years after my grandad caught a load of travellers syphoning diesel out of the lorries one shot across the field with a .243 and they soon f****d off unknown to us the traveller's had left one behind an old boy about 60 he had a stroke and nearly died so the ambulance came and took him away charges wernt pressed but they soon got the idea that we arent mugs and rumour got about that if you try and steal off our land your in a world of shit.Good old days no one has tried it for years.

we had horse theives checking out our farm as there is about 20 horses on the farm at any one time i saw a white van parked at the bottom of the drive looking in to the paddock so as i came in to view they sped off, people from down the road also said the same thing had happened to them then we had a visit from the police as there was people going round looking for steal to order kids ponys well, what was in the paddock when i sa w that suspicous van....14hh conamara pony.........now all gates have large chain and bolts on them

also when i was coming back from walking the dogs the other day i crossed over the road about 50 yards from the bottom of the drive (this is on a country road) and there was a 4x4 parked at the bottom of my drive and as soon as i crossed over they quickly moved off,it had been parked there for the last 10-15 mins as i could see it while walking the dogs through the trees.........suspect there after the dogs this time......but hey ho the tw*ts will get a nasty suprise if they do as my cousin is a coppper:D

Edited by JPTfellterrier
Guest JohnGalway

I've tidied up and removed some of the cloud cuckoo land suggestions.

Let's stick to the problem at hand ;)

If the OP had brought his gun, it would have been of his own choice. I would think had the thieves been caught the OP would have lost his FAC if they decided to say anything. Even if you didn't threaten them with the gun, just to have it there with you they can say whatever they like about what you did or didn't do. It wasn't a case of self defence, he would have chosen to bring a lethal weapon into a situation, they were not cornering him in his own house, or anywhere else. He wasn't even in the situation at that point, nevermind not having an avenue of escape.

There's also the real possibility that you don't know how many are there, and you certainly don't know who they are or what they're capable of. It's possible you think you have X amount of them held at gunpoint and the lad you don't know about cracks you over the head from behind. Now they have you plus your gun.

Prevention is always the best way, deter them int he first place. Dogs, geese etc, alarm mines. Especially when it's property near inhabited houses, most people will wonder about unusual noise close to them. Better to shout them off than confront them. The law is definately an ass, but this isn't the wild west. You break the law you're more likely to get done than the criminals who'll know the law better than ya know your own mother.

I've tidied up and removed some of the cloud cuckoo land suggestions.

Let's stick to the problem at hand ;) ....................

Cool, it's hard as everyone puts there ''if it happened to me'' story in, which is fine, but it does drift from the matter in hand.

ta for the advice pal ;)