Help with thugs and the LAW

hi, Sad start to today.

Woke up, pulled up the blind in the bedroom (3.20am) to look at the farm over the road to see a horse box i didnt recognize and two lads walking around the stables - strange i thought. (esp at this time of the morning)

I called the owner (he's house is about 300yards from the stables) and i'd woke him up by calling him!

Told him what i'd seen and he said get out there and rumble them, i'll meet you there.

So thinking on my feet i just got dressed and ran out, they were spooked to see me! one bloke was trying to walk a horse out the stable into the horse box

(now here is the LAW/legal bit)

One of them had a baseball bat and waved it at me as they both jumped back in the 4x4 and drove out the yard - Gone (got number plate!) :angry:

Now if i'd picked up my rifle (which i thought of doing) and went over the farm threatened them with it to hold them (i wouldn't have shot them) untill the police arrived would i have broken any laws and put my self in the thick stuff aswell?

Think i would have loaded one round in the clip, once there i would have shot into the field just to let them know it's not a spud gun!only the one round just in case somehow they overpowered me and shot me with my own rifle!

Makes me sick that you just can't trust anyone and nothing's safe from the little bas***ds.

His horses are used for polo and are worth approx £20-60,000 each, he has got CCTV and pad locks on the stable gates (which had been cut off).

It's a sad state of a country we live in now. :(

Anyway what do you think / know about this people...?

Thanks

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a tricky one and pretty shit. There is really no way you could ever legally justify bringing a firearm into a potentially violent situation and you would at least lose your FAC/SGC.

It obviously varies from situation to situation but it is always worth remembering the old saying: "better to be judged by twelve than carried by six"!

I think the theiving scumbags deserve one between the eyes.

But in reality, i reckon if you had gone over there "armed" and then fired a round, i'm pretty sure you would of been in the smelly stuff.

You aint even allowed to give em a clip round the ear nowadays yet alone a shot across the bows.

Just glad they were disturbed, i'd keep an eye out though, doubt it'll be the last you hear of them,

They'll probably try again.

Never take a gun be it loaded or unloaded into a heated situation, you will loose out in the long run, plenty of cctv cameras around the stables should get the footage, if they did get away,

As for baseball bat, a nice german shepard on a slip lead, would settle them down............ ;)

plods where here again this afternoon, prints from the gate but can't remember if they had gloves, so that may lead to something. Never guess what - the number lates were stolen from a place in suffolk last week.......

I didnt want to say about the rifle i had in case they saw me as high risk FAC holder if you get me.

It's the 3rd time this year people have tried to get in, but how far do you go untill you've replicated Fort Knox!?

Using a gun in self defence when you are in fear of yours or someone elses life is acceptable, although you would still have a devil of a job to proove it!!

Taking a gun into a situation like this would almost certainly be viewed as intimidation and agression on your part..ie, you were better armed then them, net result is you would probably be in loads of trouble...

If only we were in the USA :D:whistling::thumbs:

Little story........................... About 45/50 years ago my grandad was a forest ranger and was mainly on vermin and deer control.....anyway there were alot of cars getting burnt out around his area and 1 night he seen a set of lights heading through the woods.

He quickly grabbed his van keys and ran out his door and as he passed his hedge there was a golf club sticking out of it so he took that with him.

He drove to where he thought they might be and sure enough they were there, 3 of them in a pick up with a guy sitting in the back.

He stopped his van and asked what thy were up to and 1 of the guys ran straight for him so he rattled him over the head with the club and knocked him clean out. :clapper:

1 of the other guys shoted 'you've killed him' and my grandad replied 'aye, and al kill you tae if you dont get to f###'. So they threw there pal in the pick up and were gone in a flash.

The reason i am telling this is because although nothing was ever mentioned my grandad decided to ask a friend he had in the police what his rights might have been if the man pressed charges? His answer was if he had picked up a stick when he confronted the men he might have got away with self defense but because he had taken a 'weapon' with him he would have been in a world of shit.

Using a gun in self defence when you are in fear of yours or someone elses life is acceptable, although you would still have a devil of a job to proove it!!

Taking a gun into a situation like this would almost certainly be viewed as intimidation and agression on your part..ie, you were better armed then them, net result is you would probably be in loads of trouble...

If only we were in the USA :D:whistling::thumbs:

Yea,I hear you on that one!

thought something like that would arise from that type of situation...

cheers mate

by taking your gun you commit an offence as with anything considered a weapon as it is a firearm it would a seriouse offence even if you got into a fight with them if you got the upper hand that is asault with cctv you may be able to prove otherwise but this would be a lengthy process which in the meantime you would lose your rifle yes the law is an ass. as a keeper i was shot at on various occasions with air rifles rimfire and centre fire shotguns and even a crossbow i lost two dogs being shot 1 german shepherd and 1 american pit bull (pre ban) the bull was a crossbow bolt i never once took a gun with me just the dogs i was adviced by a PC off the record that if i set the dog on someone that is an offence even if in fear of my own safety but if the lead or chain they where on was to break there was nothing could be done so the lead i took was always in two bits

Even the thought of you thinking that way sends a shiver down my spine,If your that way inclined to go and get your gun,you are better off not having one at all.

Does anyone remember that guy tony martin shooting at the pikeys breaking into his house.

anyway think about the consequences,

Im sure a few geese would be a better option,Noisey as hell,great at spotting anyone better than a cheap alarm

Edited by akton

remember the farmer who shot the intruders , dont listen to stupid comments . if you was coming from a shoot and had the gun in your hand maybe ( and it is a BIG maybe) but knowingly taking it into batlle so to speak you would end up in the shite.

either way i hope they get them as a lot of horse thiefs always seem to get away with it

Edited by chimp

Theoreticaly you could claim reasonable use of force in shooting at someone but practically it just wouldn't hold up in court. Particularly with the laws in this country on storing firearms, in this case of being disturbed in the night then taking a rifle out of a locked cabinet before going to intervene would be seen as a premedetated attack and a hefty jail sentence is likely to be incurred. Being a gang member in an inner city estate with an unlicenced firearm on the other hand will more than likely get you a weekend in Butlins! :doh: