i shoot on a farm where there is a big feral pidgeon problem but i have been told i shouldn't eat them because they have alot of different diseases which could be harmful. I was wondering if this is true or if there is anything else i could do with them?Because it seems like a big waste.

thanks

Greg

i shoot on a farm where there is a big feral pidgeon problem but i have been told i shouldn't eat them because they have alot of different diseases which could be harmful. I was wondering if this is true or if there is anything else i could do with them?Because it seems like a big waste.

thanks

Greg

Ok as long as you handle them safley ie gloves and wash them properly they pose no threat but here,s a good recipe.

Pigeon loaf, you need 2-3 pigeons

1 onion

225g pork sausage meat

1 slice of bread

150ml of red wine

1 teaspoon of fresh mixed herbs

salt and pepper

225g of bacon rashers

Using a sharp knife,strip the flesh from the pigeons and mince or finely chop.Mix with the sausage meat and finely chopped onion.Remove the crusts from the bread and soak the bread in the wine. Mash with a fork and add to the meat with the herbs and plenty of salt and pepper.

Remove the rinds from the bacon and put half the rashers into a loaf tin.Cover with the pigeon mixture and the remaining bacon rashers. Cover with foil and bake at 160oc,gas mark 3 for 2hours. Cool slightly before turning out to serve hot with gravy. If liked , cool under weight and cut into thick slices to serve with salad.. enjoy! :clapper:

thanks

Greg

Well i wouldn't even feed them to to ferret

thanks

Greg

Well i wouldn't even feed them to to ferret

common misconception about the transfer of different sicknesess like mixi not nice to look at but the proteins in the virus are broken down in the cooking process its all edible just needs cooking properly ;)

I feel it depends on where they're from. Ones I shoot on farms that are well away from towns are clean enough and the only food in their crops is grain, chicken feed etc. These ones I feed to the ferrets whole, generally freeze them whole and defrost one at a time as needed. I have often thought they'd be ok to eat but always have enough bunny and venison so haven't tried.

Ferals that are feeding in towns, even if they roost away from them, are a different story and are pretty manky, eating all sorts of crap and often scabby with missing toes etc. I wouldn't feed these and if the hawk catches one I cover it with a towel and throw some meat a foot or two away to get him off before he eats any!!

thanks

Greg

I wouldn't eat one mate, my ferrets wouldn't even get one.