We have loads here & on any evening stalk at roe i see 5-20 birds flight by. An estate had 52 in 2 days with guns i know & i see/flush 5-10 a day when beating. I myself have not shot any this year yet but i love woodcock shooting had 4 in 1 drive last year.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion the woodcock numbers in West Wales are good at the moment. I see daily sightings and have had a few good bags whilst rough shooting with friends. Very interesting that you shot a Woodcock in Cumbria which was ringed in Sweden. Have heard of Russian ringed woodcock shot in West Wales.

decent numbers about here...ive had an 18 and a 12 bird day as the two best so far....have had 25 bird days before now....but ive not had the shooting this year as ive been ill and my uncle my main shooting partner has emigrated to canada...it just dont feel right not having him here!!!

heres a coupleof pics i took this year and one of my uncle just before he went to canada....

vizalanslastdayphessywoodcockx004.jpg

kirasb-day018.jpg

In my opinion the woodcock numbers in West Wales are good at the moment. I see daily sightings and have had a few good bags whilst rough shooting with friends. Very interesting that you shot a Woodcock in Cumbria which was ringed in Sweden. Have heard of Russian ringed woodcock shot in West Wales.

Very interesting result from one of the Ringer's that I know. He ringed a Woodcock on a field in Mid Wales last year.

It was re-captured this year, in the exact same field. Same Bird. Amazing eh?

When ageing a woodcock is it a case of the wing feathers being in line mean its last years or before and if they are staggered they are this years bird????

If the Woodcock is a Juvenile, the three Primary feathers will be rough and ragged around the tips. This is because the bird has not moulted, as it is in its first year.

An Adult Woodcock will have defined and rounded tips to its Primary feathers as they are newer.

SS :thumbs:

We're flushing one or two on almosst every drive at our shoot, probablby shot half a dozen.

I've got one in the freezer as its the first one I've shot and want to see if it tastes as good as people say - Anyone got any recipes?

They are delicious mate. Probably the nicest bird to eat, just a pity they are not the size of a goose. :D

My mate cooks them with the insides still in and then when cooked he pulls them out and spreads on a nice bit of crutsy bread/toast. Never tried that part myself but he swears by it.

I've got one in the freezer as its the first one I've shot and want to see if it tastes as good as people say - Anyone got any recipes?

They are delicious mate. Probably the nicest bird to eat, just a pity they are not the size of a goose. :D

My mate cooks them with the insides still in and then when cooked he pulls them out and spreads on a nice bit of crutsy bread/toast. Never tried that part myself but he swears by it.

We had them as a starter for christmas day. They were part cooked in the oven and then finished off in a brandy and cream sauce :toast: Absolute heaven :toast: I know its traditional to eat the innards on toast but i cant bring my self to do that either

they seem to be here all year round theres no shoots around here but dont see them in great numbers

There is a small resident population of Woodcock in the UK. They stay in one place to breed, and when it begins to get colder, they begin to migrate locally to new, more temperate spots.