• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Walked up Woodcock shooting.

But this year they have been in short supply here. Same as last year, last year though, they did turn up in good numbers in the last week of the season. I did go for a walk yesterday and rose only one. That was my first of the season.

here in county durham we have seen a few this year more than last year they seem in better numbers a left and right shot on one drive and about 2 in the bag per shoot ,tis good to see them about even if they are still flying after both barrels have gone off ,a truly sporting bird in my opinion :D

As someone who knows a good bit about them, and gets weekly reports of numbers, from the reports I have been getting and other colleagues, the Woodcock this year is being highly unpredictable.

Some days you will go out and rise twenty and more in one session with just one dog. Others you can have six, seven, eight dogs and rise two.

They have been coming in waves and disappearing the next day in some cases. Western Ireland hasn't seen the numbers it normally has in some areas.

My patch here has seen regular and steady falls, but incoherent.

They follow two main migration roots in the UK. From the top of Scandinavia across the North Sea to Scotland, the border counties and the Midlands and across.

Or, from the lower echelons of Russia, across the top of Europe, and along the South coast. It seems the South coast has been more prolific this year.

But it depends.

How many Juveniles are being shot and how many adults? Do any of you know how to age them?