German Goshawks

jasper65

Surley stamina has nothing to do with size :hmm:. a sparrowhawk can chase until the bitter end over some seriouse distances, we're talking about a bird averageing 10oz's tops here but they keep going when they need too! I'm pretty sure a German male Gos in any sort of condition is more than capable of the same feat should it be needed?....

whats your own view on the subject?

well i have only flown one gos before this, and i was hoping you where going to say what you did. i have a thing for small hawks and like millet i too watch spars fly all the time as a kid and still do. and my fist wasnt big but had the best wing beat i have seen. where as this fin i have at the mo has a slower wing beat. but it still hard to see if there are any faster or slower. what i do notice is that the smaller male got upto speed qucker and was then just behind the pheasant where as the male i have now the pheasant pulls away a touch then the fin matches the speed from about 60 to 80 yards onwards.

well i have only flown one gos before this, and i was hoping you where going to say what you did. i have a thing for small hawks and like millet i too watch spars fly all the time as a kid and still do. and my fist wasnt big but had the best wing beat i have seen. where as this fin i have at the mo has a slower wing beat. but it still hard to see if there are any faster or slower. what i do notice is that the smaller male got upto speed qucker and was then just behind the pheasant where as the male i have now the pheasant pulls away a touch then the fin matches the speed from about 60 to 80 yards onwards.

The smaller birds have this lovely clippy wingbeat and seem to dash off the fist in a blur! weather they are actually faster than the bigger birds is another thing or is it just our eyes playing trick with us as the small bird perhaps fool us they are going quicker :hmm:....

I know this much when you watch some P/R youngsters flying round the pen you can see the difference expecialy when they need to turn in tight corners, I bred some 3/4 German x Finn birds a while back and the males zipped round the aviary like Bumble bees! they're always constantly on the go flying from one end to the other of the 24ft enclosure, where as the large female's and to some extent large males tend to get really active in the evenings before dark...

In the pair aviary I have a 1998 passage German male in with a Finnish female! beleive me when she has chased him he turns her inside out as he did with the others! this male has been in and succesfuly bred with 3 different females and survived the odd assaults from all of them, that means alot when you consider the amount of males killed overall in one breeding season with people natural pairs.....

My view is smaller birds would be faster over shorter distances and bigger birds would be faster of longer distances , my albidus cross flies at 2 lb 1 1/2 and were I fly ,a lot of the times the fields are a bit small and as he gets up to top speed the Pheasants just bail into cover , but on big open field its a different ball game ....John

I'm sure a bird of that size when in condition should be able to sustain a good even pace to fly down any pheasant in fair flight! On their day a fit in condition bird when asked to perform this in a open field or wherever should acheive it everytime, the problem is they're not always on their day so we can't expect these great flights on every occasion. Many of the game reared birds in the area expecially in the early part of the season put in after a shortish flight and are taken fairly easy by birds no where near their top fitness, but when a good strong seasoned Cock bird gets up and stays on the wing across two large fields the Gos's metal is really put to the test but they're certainly capable of it...

I have seen and also had a male of my own flying a fair bit smaller than your's sit tight just under a Pheasants arse across two wide open fields here in Norfolk, <rough estimate around 700yds> and take the Pheasant as it sat on its wings before they put into cover, flights like this are a treasure! I don't think any of this is anything short for a good fit Goshawk, the old school Austringers was getting out doing this regular well before any forums and computers was available....

Ok this is no mean fete but a in condition fit Gos on his day in the right conditions will do it anytime anywhere....

Jasper

Hi Jasper i also think it funny that most people go for the size of the hawks rather than their ability.My 3/4 german male will take anything from sparrows upwards. He's also taken a couple of rabbits now.

Dave

:clapper::clapper: Its refreshing to read a post like this mate these days :thumbs:. for some reason there's far to many people suffering with "Big Willy Syndrome" in this country......

cheers

Jasper

Hi guys, as someone with a huge willie already ;) , when I bought my female I went for temprament over size.

I must admit to having suffered with small male Gosses in the past.I had a club bird(BFC) back in the late 80's that I took down to 15oz and he still dipped and rose to the top of trees!

The German male before him was the average 1lb 6oz and he was mustard.My mate John flew a deadly German female at 2lb 2oz and she took hares as well as any of the big ones i've seen.

Jim