Long range scope

The Zeiss are meant to be better optically...I don't know though...what does get me is how heavy BOTH of these are!

But you better hurry and make your mind up...it's almost too late to get your list to Santa already :thumbs:

I have an idea, ask for them both..keep the one you like the best and give the other to me...Mill Dots please!!! :thumbs:

i havnt had the oppurtunity to look through a zeiss before.

ive had a look through a nightforce or two and its just incredible when comparing it with the glass i usually look through.

as with everything you have to be able to justify spending that extra 300 quid on the zeiss. if you cant, then dont but if you feel that extra 300 quid will make the difference then go for it every time.

jack

Snap, you mentioned the Leupold. I've seen them on various sites which then say that Nightforce are that much better. They're also about £250 more money, if I got the non-IR Leupold. They're also over half a pound lighter.

Now, if I was going to shoot thousand yard every day with a 50BMG there seems to be no contest. But I'm not, so from people who've used them, are they up to scratch? I like my VX-III but the eye relief is perhaps a bit long for all uses, takes quite a lot of setting up to get it vaguely right, and it's beaten very soundly by my Schmidt at night.

IOR are great scopes a chap that i used to shoot with used one on his 243 and it was great.........4-12 S&B longrange scope every time if you cant afford new go s/h.....you will be pushing any scope as well as your self tryng to shoot fox much past 300 yards at night....you will need a bloody good lamp and someone with you to help spot and confirm what your shooting at.....it made me laugh with one of the other posts when lots of people slagged someone off for shooting a cow......its very easily done when shooting out to 400/500 yards at night...these ranges are not easy in the day in the field never mind at night.....

Guest JohnGalway
IOR are great scopes a chap that i used to shoot with used one on his 243 and it was great.........4-12 S&B longrange scope every time if you cant afford new go s/h.....you will be pushing any scope as well as your self tryng to shoot fox much past 300 yards at night....you will need a bloody good lamp and someone with you to help spot and confirm what your shooting at.....it made me laugh with one of the other posts when lots of people slagged someone off for shooting a cow......its very easily done when shooting out to 400/500 yards at night...these ranges are not easy in the day in the field never mind at night.....

I dunno Woz, I look at it two ways if they can't tell the difference between a fox and a cow even at 500 yards they shouldn't be attempting to shoot that range, if they can't tell the difference because they can't make out their target then they shouldn't be considering the shot :thumbs:

Maybe it's due to the difference in land but I can definately tell the difference where I shoot, at night. I can appreciate if it's completely flat there maybe be problems but then, in my opinion, the shot just ain't on.

i also agree with john on the topic of not identifying the target, if you can't don't pull the trigger,

now the nightforce is built like a tank positive clicks and tracking, but for my 2p worth is not a great stalking scope, target yes excellent,

the zesis conquest and the leupold are a match i would say, but i do like the leupold, the zesis is excellent also and every bit as good at far less money,

IOR seemed to have a poor reputation years ago for poor quality, but this has all been sorted and people tell me its excellent, and even better than leupold optically, which must be good ................So shop around look on web pages and good luck.

I have had several opportunities for shots of that distance when I could see even with cheaper scopes, and some where all I needed was a more contrasty image, so the potential is definitely there for that range of shot. I think 500 is pushing it though as there's no spot where a 500 yard shot has background on any land I shoot on.

get the zeiss mate i was looking at foxes out to 300 yards with my conquest last night and could see the detail easy on them. very bright picture. and the zeiss diavari will be even better !

would like one of them in the future and put the conquest on my hmr ! :D like i said i have the n04 crosshair its to thick for targets but for vermin and fox it picks them up easy and if you cant get the cross on him clear just make sure the foxes body is in the thick post and you no you got him