Need To catch a male rabbit for breeding

Guest Countryboyo

Guest Countryboyo

Hi lads I need a male buck rabbit to breed with my females for my rabbit breeding for release programme. I dont have ferrets but is there some way i could flush rabbits into a net at night when they are out in the field without the use of dogs???? Any advice greatly appreciated.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Countryboyo
how do you normally catch them ? couldnt you just modify you ussual method

probably shoots them, so you tend to find they dont want much feeding or sex after that :whistling:

lol forgot about that method stubby

if you dont live too far away im sure someoe can sdupply you with one :whistling:

In munster in Ireland lads and i couldnt really modify my method as I just do the odd bit of lamping with the cousins greys and I take my terrier flushing. If i used him to drive rabbit to net he would be in after them and kill them. I have a friend that had ferrets in the past but hes away in the army now so no good. If I was netting would I put it along the ditch where plenty of burrows are and try drive tabbits towards the net is that basically it? If someone from munster is willing to donate a male healthy rabbit in the good name of the project i will take it.

no offence mate, but as a farmer, i dont see why you would want to release and breed wild rabbits, unless it is sport. In this financial climate the rabbits are costing the farmers alot of money on crop and land damage etc. But each to thier own, and yes you could do that with a longnet, or just ask a local ferreter

i must agree will.f11 there is enought of the vermin about with out breeding and releasing them, and corect me if im wrong but ismt there a law agenst such thing??? (i might be mistking it for anuthere animal duno) but i think its a silly idear mate sorry for being a spoil sport but the only advantage i could see is that sumone will get more ferreting out of it and as will.f11 sed some poor farmer will have his/her crops damaged by an increase in rabbit numbers,

i may have it all wrong but every one is entitled to an opinion and this is mine

Hi lads I need a male buck rabbit to breed with my females for my rabbit breeding for release programme. I dont have ferrets but is there some way i could flush rabbits into a net at night when they are out in the field without the use of dogs???? Any advice greatly appreciated.

sorry but i might be wrong, did you not want to repopulate rats a couple of weeks ago

Guest Countryboyo

Its my uncles land he has 1000 acres and He is for the Idea of bringing back the rabbits. there are no rabbits at all in my area in general so i just want a bit of sport for my terrier to flush and I am getting a whippet in the summer. I will keep the numbers under control hopefully with the whippet and if I cant keep up with the multiplying I have friends in the gun club. cheers lads.

Guest Countryboyo

sorry but i might be wrong, did you not want to repopulate rats a couple of weeks ago

NO

NO

sorry my mistake

Guest lurcherboy2008

whats the metter with catching rabbits and letting them go? i did it last year went away ferreted a load and dropped them local soon saw the numbers build up through the summer months but now gone straight back down now myxy has hit us but its definetly a good idea