Fox....22LR.....FAC

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cyclonebri, and whoever else shoots fox with .22rf, where do you shoot it, head or heart?

Head every time and usually from 30 to 20yds. To make myself clear I wouldn't go out deliberatly with the .22 for a fox, but it's amazing when you are tucked up under a hedge on a warm summers evening how often mr charlie just about walks into you, very hard to resist a shot like that and I think justified under those conditions.

I would imagine many more foxes have been crippled with shot than have failed to have been despatched cleanly with the rimmy?

No, I wouldn't want to test the case on this one, I was just wondering if it ever had been to court?

It's a very sad joke..the different interpretation of the law by different regions...just goes to show what legitimate, sensible, reasonable and responsible shooters are up against when the police can't even agree amongst themselves!

hi. just to add my little bit. just got my firearms certificate back from gwent police. the ground was checked for my hornet to shoot fox. on my certificate it said vermin control. i rang the firearms department to ask if i needed fox on my certificate. the reply was fox is classed as vermin.

Here in the shooters nightmare region of South Yorks, Fox has to be specifically on your ticket for each rifle. My rimfires are for "vermin and ground game" and the 22-250 states fox and vermin and ground game, when I phoned her and said aren't foxes vermin, she said definitely not, and gave me a lecture of the fluffy little animals variety, she sounded like an "anti" who resents having to let anybody here have any form of gun to shoot all those nice animals. How does someone with views like that get to be in charge of firearms licensing for an entire region?

Here's a thing, the police interpretation of the law may be different, but the law itself remains the same.

In the eyes of the law, you must be proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt to be convicted.

Ergo, if the police guidance can't even decide, then it would be impossible to convict someone for shooting a fox on a vermin ticket because there is definitely reasonable doubt whether an offence has been committed, even if there is absolute proof you did indeed use the rimfire to shoot the fox.

Mainly because the offence brought before the court would be breach of FAC terms, and this is so woolly that no magistrate in the land would convict, except any sympathetic to animal rights people. And that could be quashed on appeal so...

BUT, all that said, I don't want to be the first one to find out the hard way, so I have asked for fox on all rifles...

Edited by Mr_Logic

Ok, so how about the situation where your ticket is issued in one county, stating foxes on .22, and your are doing some shooting a couple of counties away such as Yorks????

Or even vice versa? Do you abide by your licencing authority or that of the area you are actually shooting in?

Assuming open ticket of course :(:unsure::unsure: Talk about confusion reigns ;)

my 22lr is on an open ticket and states for vermin and small ground game.

So what is your interpretation of that mate?

Seems to me that there would have to be a case in law to decide if a fox is vermin or not?

Don't want to be a player in that one tho' :o

The thing is..........my 22lr states vermin and small ground game which one could reasonably think that vermin equates to fox BUT my .223 stipulates fox specifically!?! which possibly suggests to me that my 22lr doesnt cover fox ?!?

Im lost now!

This clearly shows what a mess the different regions make of firearms legislation.

Lets face it, how difficult would it be to clarify this and make a uniform ruling....such as ....FOX means fox so it must be stipulated, or, Fox is included in Vermin!

The police can't decide ..but rest assured, if we take one step outside the guidelines (or the conditions on our FAC) it's goodbye FAC!!! :hmm::hmm: