Louis don't keep a record of quantity anything in the bag is a good day I do remember a day in late spring it was dull and damp and i only whent out to give my young spanial a few flushes on bunnys but it was one of those days when the dog bumped out one bunny after another .on the way out we took 6 rabbits and had to leave them on a fence line to collect later as they where getting to heavy to carry .Plus we got another 4 on the way back i ran out of cartridges and the dog almost worked to a standstill and we where only out for an hour and a bit whent home happy that day.

Hi Louis

It depends what birds we are talking about and where you go. Some times you just have to go the corner of the closest field to shoot 100 pigeons in 2 hours, a couple of month later you will shoot 2 pigeons in this same field in a full day. I am happy whathever the number. It is even more true if I go for woodcocks or snipes.

If you want to be a good hunter, learn to limit yourself and don't shoot everything. A bird a bit too far deserves to live, not to be wounded. A bird a bit too near deserves to fly further before you take a shot... Shooting has nothing to do with numbers. Sometimes a lot of birds needs to be killed, do it but always with respect :notworthy:

One!

My first pheasant, a walked up cock bird flying away to the left into the sun, me, a 15year old with a 20g sbs Kestrel ne. One shot and the bird dropped out of the air down into a burn and my friend's father's spaniel retrieved it to his hand.

I had shot many rabbits and pigeon before that day, but it was that event that pushed the relationship between me and shooting into the area of addiction!

T

Does that answer your question.

The best day I had was up the Gala /Peebles valley. Keeper was giving it this it one of the most difficult drives you will ever meet.

Birds coming off the opposite high ground above the valley. Birds high fast and looked like sparrows, coming on a decent breeze.

Bird came out for No 1, came all the way down to No7, thats me. Every bod had a go, way up there and everybody waiting to wipe the neighbour's eye. Came over me, didn't bother with 1st barrel, went for the choke and to my surprise doubled up, head back. Keeper picked it, brought it over and fined me forty quid. It was a cocks only day and I had decked a hen. Guns threw the keeper a fiver apiece for best shot of the day, didn't cost me more than the usual bung. He has moved on but we still shoot together.

What was the bag, cannot remember, does it matter, not a bit.

Hi Louis

It depends what birds we are talking about and where you go. Some times you just have to go the corner of the closest field to shoot 100 pigeons in 2 hours, a couple of month later you will shoot 2 pigeons in this same field in a full day. I am happy whathever the number. It is even more true if I go for woodcocks or snipes.

If you want to be a good hunter, learn to limit yourself and don't shoot everything. A bird a bit too far deserves to live, not to be wounded. A bird a bit too near deserves to fly further before you take a shot... Shooting has nothing to do with numbers. Sometimes a lot of birds needs to be killed, do it but always with respect :notworthy:

paddy that last paragraph should be written in the eley shooters year diary, top class :big_boss::notworthy: