good to see the cock heads are still on here he asked advice on training the dog not what you thought of him givin the dog a slap .you lot who send the abuse have no fecking idea what to do otherwise you would be sending advice in your replies not abuse if your life is that borinng you sit about just waiting to throw abuse then i think it is you who is the real d ick heads!

I took the time out and gave the geeza some advice and he seemed to take it as an insult. As I said it's up to him though, he can take it or leave it, doesn't bother me.

i took it thanks with all the other good advice i received.. cheers

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The trick is to make the pup realise that the whole of your house is its den: normal dogs don't piss in their dens: they go outside. Now at this time of year: cold, wet and dark early it is a damn sight harder to house train pups than in the summer.

Basically a pup needs to pee very often: when it wakes up, after a meal, after a drink and right when you don't expect it to: like when its in the middle of playing. They can't hold it very long at this age so don't get angry with it, don't rub its nose in it and definitely don't crack it.

It's down to you to make sure the pup goes outside, and that means taking it out: as soon as it wakes up, after eating, after drinking, and every 15 to 20 minutes when its just messing about!

Once a pup starts peeing inside it doesn't realise that that is the wrong place to go, no matter how much you shout at it: it just learns to associate peeing with you getting angry! Then its more likely to sneak away somewhere and pee where you can't see it doing it.

Get a cage: use it as the pup's bed and feed it in it too.Don't leave it in there all the time! Just overnight, when you have to take your eye off it for a while and if you go out. Make sure the cage is big enough to have a bed at one end and a decent sized area covered in newspaper at the other in case it gets caught short, which it undoubtedly will! LOL Don't ever tell it off for doing anything in the cage: just clean it out completely as soon as you notice.

Use one of the antibacterial sprays to clean the cage at least twice a day and especially after it has peed or messed in there. Use the spray to clean up if it has an accident anywhere else in the house.

DON'T allow the pup access to the whole of the house until it is housetrained: keep it in the kitchen or whatever that has a washable floor: pee smell never comes out of carpets and pups always want to pee where they've already done it: the habit is very strong.

Don't expect a pup to be fully housetrained until it has finished teething at about 6 months, and expect a short lapse again when the roots of its teeth are finishing their growth at about 10 months ish.

Stay with the pup when you put it outside to pee etc, praise it lots and bring it in again. Some pups will learn to go to the back door and pee, so in the dark months put some newspaper there and don't tell the pup off if it goes there just because you haven't read the signs that it needs to go or nobody realised it needed a pee.

Good luck

Best advice comes from those that know :thumbs:one good piece of advice passed on is better than a million slagging offs

Edited by rob.i
hi lads can anyone help ? i got a patterdale terrier pup not long since it wo 15 week old it seemed ok normal little terrier it pissed in the house so i gave it a crack on its nose and put it out . trying to house train it abit but since then its become very timmid it wee s when you pick it up or if you have to go get it and seems scaired ... does any one no if it will grow out of it or should i get rid and get another it is half nuttall and half weeler can anyone help ... cheers lads and keep digging

Unbelievable, spose someone cracked you across the nose last time you pissed yourself did they?

Give it to a better home, anywhere would be better for that matter.

no nose, did u actually want to know would it grow out of its timidness or peeing in the house? well.......take the advice given about house training and when you start to praise it the dog's confidence will start to come back and it won't be so timid. goes hand in hand.......it takes time and patience. at least you asked for advice. animals (even humans) learn best from being praised for something they have done right rather than punished for doing something wrong. basics of training, can teach them do anything by sticking to that rule. play nice now...........and let us know how you and the dog get on

no nose, did u actually want to know would it grow out of its timidness or peeing in the house? well.......take the advice given about house training and when you start to praise it the dog's confidence will start to come back and it won't be so timid. goes hand in hand.......it takes time and patience. at least you asked for advice. animals (even humans) learn best from being praised for something they have done right rather than punished for doing something wrong. basics of training, can teach them do anything by sticking to that rule. play nice now...........and let us know how you and the dog get on

cheer4s and will do the pup has started to come round a bit and is getting more confident every day .many thanks once again to all with good advice to say .thanks :clapper:

Now then.. I have a patt bitch pup same age as yours, she would piss every time you picked her up, she was quite timid too. Got a cage, she sleeps in that & is now dry all night, let her out in the morning and she does her stuff no probs. Got round the pissing when picked up problem by reading up on here - great advice about getting down to her level and playing, the pissing seems to be submissive behaviour and once her confidence was built up she stopped doing it. I take her out every 2 hours or send one of the kids with her & she's dry in the house now.

As for timidness.... she runs rings round my boxer and my old lab, has them both yipping, hangs of their chops/ears/anything she can get hold of and generally plagues them half to death. They love the attention. Follow the advice these lads on here give you & you can't go wrong.