• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He would be laughing like fook to know he can still stir the shite among the know it all's. :clapper:

he can as well ,shame you know f :censored: k all :laugh::laugh:

Your the one that is biteing and getting all hot under the collar, :whistling: Chill out. nobody made you read his book's. :tongue2:

im not biting or getting hot under the collar as i stated in an earlier post i enjoyed his books prob read most of them and enjoyed all bar 2, trog and nathan just not my type of thing, what i have said is that i would have liked to see pictures of these massive catches of rats that was supposed to of been taken, ive never seen any, not one ,i think 1981 DIARY OF A HUNTER came out,read it ,the thursday night hunts, the hundreds of rats etc etc 27 years on and you would have thought that the odd picture, just one would have turned up, maybe its me being cynical, i dont think so,i would love to see such pictures of these rats (NOT frozen and collected for ferret food and then lined up) i reckon i will be waiting a long time :thumbs:

I thought Nathan and tales of a rat hunting man were very entertaining when I read them in my teens. I read a few of the others but still remember enjoying those two the most.

i might have to get NATHAN out again and re read it. i didnt enjoy COTTAGE AT THE EDGE OF THE WORLD at first, then picked it up a few years ago and really enjoyed it, i suppose its where you" at" at the time

I thought Nathan and tales of a rat hunting man were very entertaining when I read them in my teens. I read a few of the others but still remember enjoying those two the most.

i might have to get NATHAN out again and re read it. i didnt enjoy COTTAGE AT THE EDGE OF THE WORLD at first, then picked it up a few years ago and really enjoyed it, i suppose its where you" at" at the time

Send it over when you have read it I could read it again :good:

I havnt read cottage at the end of the world so carnt comment on that one.

His books were ok for what they were and back when i was a young enthusastic teen trying to get my mitts on anything written on working dogs and the like,Plummer gave you a insight...maybe not all gospel but at a time when there wasnt a lot of pen to paper on such things a few entertaining lighthearted reads on the subject never the less.

I met the man only once and found him a decent sort of guy (i take folk as i find them)...and believe me when i say this ive met far worse so called dog men,although its been well documented he enjoyed winding a few folk up i cant recall him doing many folk a bad turn...i think there were and still are far worse characters than Plummer imo.

I thought his book lurcher and longdog training was a good read and helpfull,at one time i was a keen reader ive got loads of his books at home but looking back i can see why i enjoyed nathan the novel he could write a good story lol.Did any one on this site ever go out lamping with him.In his book the complete lurcher he seemed very much against doing deer but i aint going to knock the man because i dident now him but he seemed an interesting charecter :D:clapper:

I knew Brian pretty well and lived with Norma him for about a month in 98 helping out in his kennels and used to go over fairly reguarly until he died. I was 18 at the time and was between jobs. Somehow I ended up staying with them and it was a very intresting experiance. I don't usually reply to the "plummer" threads because it used to really annoy me people saying stuff they know nothing about and I really cant understand how people can get so worked up over someone because they dont belive what they wrote. If they were stories - who cares? Perhaps I am nieave but I believe the stuff he told me.

He was one of the most intelegant people i have ever met and i would argue he wasne of the best obediance trainers, if not the best in the working dog scene. Weather he worked his dogs as much as others do or caught as mutch i cant say but all his dogs that i saw were suberbly trained.

As for not being a dogman (guenuine of course) he had several dogs in their 20s retired in his kennels. He never put a dog down. That says alot about hime to me.

He was aslo generous. He bred a litter of pups from Pip, his Lucus terrier and gave away the whole litter - Wouldn't take a penny for the pups. I offered him the money at a time when he could have done with it but he refused point blank.

When I stayed there, every afternoon we would watch the game show 15 to 1. in four weeks he never got a single question wrong. Answered every one. His geberal knowlegde was fantastic and he could keep a room full of people listning with his stories. Im sure he was a real charmer with the ladies in his day?

He had a funny sense of humor. I remember showing him posts on the internet on EDRD.com site and he used to get a good laugh at some of the replys about him.

I believe everyone is entitled to their opinion but I also believe you should make it yourself. If your brothers mate met Plummer and said he was a shite dogman it doesn't mean he was.

Life is far too short for all this you know. He was a great man and I will never forget the kindness he shown me. He achieved more in is life than most and had a roller coaster of a life at that.

Perhaps its time people got on with their own lifes rather than worry about Plummer.

I knew Brian very well and classed him as a good friend, however he did stretch the truth on occasion, sometimes for the reaction it brought, sometimes for the benefit of the book (tale).

There was a lot more to Brian than most people knew and I often wondered why he bothered his arse with the hunting fraternity, but then I realised he thrived on the attention good or bad, in short he got a buzz from it.

Here's an example and I can personally swear it's true, He kept a chest full of newspaper articles about himself from around the world. I seen cuttings from japanese, russian and american papers about him, one in particular was the american paper the Newyorker (John Major the ex prime minister was quoted as saying I can die a happy man now I've made the Newyorker) well Plummer had a two page spread in the said paper, who among us will achieve that?.

after reading this i now know MB must be his offspring :D
Good honest post minion :good:

Don't get me wrong I didn't agree with everything he said or did. I make my own opinions and I was always upfront with the fact that I didn't like the idea of him keeping a breeding kennels as a business. Its just not for me. I could accept it more if perhaps it was a working kennels where evey dog was worked as well as being bred from but he was honest and ran it as a buisness. I will say though even though I thought it was "wrong" I do think he did the "wrong" thing the "right" way - if you know what I mean? He kept all his dogs until they died natural, or were too ill. Most would keep them till they coun't breed then shoot them. (and from a business point of view thats where you would make your money- dissgracefull yes, but it happens)

I knew Brian very well and classed him as a good friend, however he did stretch the truth on occasion, sometimes for the reaction it brought, sometimes for the benefit of the book (tale).

There was a lot more to Brian than most people knew and I often wondered why he bothered his arse with the hunting fraternity, but then I realised he thrived on the attention good or bad, in short he got a buzz from it.

Here's an example and I can personally swear it's true, He kept a chest full of newspaper articles about himself from around the world. I seen cuttings from japanese, russian and american papers about him, one in particular was the american paper the Newyorker (John Major the ex prime minister was quoted as saying I can die a happy man now I've made the Newyorker) well Plummer had a two page spread in the said paper, who among us will achieve that?.

after reading this i now know MB must be his offspring :D

:D:clapper:

Good honest post minion :good:

Minion

Good post I knew Brian for many years as you know, he was one of the most decent human beings I ever met, was there for me in my hour of need, was there full stop for my family, like you my Son Ricky lived with him & Norma still talks to this day about the happiness and great memories, you can say what you will about a dead man, he can’t hear you he never could.

God Bless him I say

I grew up reading plummer books and enjoyed them , but when i was about 18 ish use to do a lot of hunting up caithness with a chap up there, my mate went to bye a pig off plummer , my mate knew plummer well , what a asshole of a bloke, the dogs where kept in shit state (he was breeding white german sherpards at time),all he was interested in was what hunting we had done and wrote it all down my mate said later that ,that will be in a book now but with him doing it, may be he was a good bloke but my personal view of him from meeting him was a self centred asshole of a bloke.

I grew up reading plummer books and enjoyed them , but when i was about 18 ish use to do a lot of hunting up caithness with a chap up there, my mate went to bye a pig off plummer , my mate knew plummer well , what a asshole of a bloke, the dogs where kept in shit state (he was breeding white german sherpards at time),all he was interested in was what hunting we had done and wrote it all down my mate said later that ,that will be in a book now but with him doing it, may be he was a good bloke but my personal view of him from meeting him was a self centred asshole of a bloke.

You don’t really expect me to believe that Janet & John tale do you. What utter nonsense