well i must say I'm surprised. I don't remeber hearing anything about it in the sporting press at the time, or even afterwards. You would have thought it would have been on the Shooting News headlines.

Good on them...

It was common knowledge to the miners

Was it ? :blink:

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently the guy was a good story teller but knew very little about the dogs and stuff. Well that maybe true,but i can guarantee he got a lot of people into dogs with his 'stories'.

As far as i can recall, when i used to go to the library, his were the only books on the shelves about terriers and lurchers. Yeah he might have been a dreamer,but a lot of people are living his dream right now because of the stuff he wrote about but never actually done.

Its good that there are authors out there now who actually do the stuff they write about.

Good hunting :victory:

ps graham there 10 miners villages within 10 miles to my home town and ten miles the other way to two salmon rivers and maybe five estates , saw the police and miners my family at first hand battling with them in the strike , and had a few long weekends at the local station , and realy graham i come on hear for a laugh but im deadly serouis on some things but cant abide eejits like whats the best deer dog whats the biggest hare whats the biggest fish whats the best coulor of dog whats the best ferret ,i treat people as eejits until proven diffrent as i ve had some of them out and they need to be held by the hand

the guy was a theotrical dreamer and should have kept to writing stories and not public hunting speeches then he would never have got found out short , merle was funny so was some of his books as he was so inept at times ,but he hada writers licence as long as your arm saw some of his dogs work that was another story

WELL WHIN ,

WE AGREE ON THAT ONE ! ........

IVE MET THE GUY ..... ONE OF THE BIGGEST LET DOWNS OF MY LIFE AS A KID ..........

IAM AFRAID LADS ... PLUMMER WAS A BULLSHITTER OF THE FIRST DEGREE ............ NOT A BAD FICTION WRITER

BUT A DOG MAN ? ............. DEFINATELY NOT

DUCKWING

totaly agree ,i grew up with the rubbish he wrote in his books ,nothing changes.[AND I KNEW HIM] Edited by MY LAW

People come on here and slate the man, never knew the man and dont have a plummer terrier so ive no connection, but spoke to a well known terrier man who is well respected who told me B.P. was a gentleman who helped a lot of people out and never mentioned it , 1 certain person he really pulled out of the shit not once but twice, and today that man slats him at every opportunity even now he is dead cause he didnt like somethin B.P. apparently said,SHORT MEMORIES i think and sad, only sayin what i was told, i know 1 lad who mid 80s was plummer mad then listened to all the bad publicity about him and then disliked him, but now is back in awe of him and praises his dogs to the hilt , that sums it up to me some people are easily swayed, my own opinion is the GREEN EYED MONSTER played a BIG part in him bein disliked once the terrier was named after him , jealousy they say is a horrible thing, if someone who actually watched HIS dogs worked has a negative oppinion that is fine but people actually slatin the man and never knew him but jump on the bandwagon laughin at his books knockin dogs they never actually seen should think before they put negative comments up about a bloke who cant defend himself, p.s B.P. would probably of disliked me , i smoke and he wouldnt have smokers over his threshhold and he didnt like the tattoo and earring brigade (though the earing has gone now :censored: too old) as i say ive no connection : just my opinion.

ps graham there 10 miners villages within 10 miles to my home town and ten miles the other way to two salmon rivers and maybe five estates , saw the police and miners my family at first hand battling with them in the strike , and had a few long weekends at the local station , and realy graham i come on hear for a laugh but im deadly serouis on some things but cant abide eejits like whats the best deer dog whats the biggest hare whats the biggest fish whats the best coulor of dog whats the best ferret ,i treat people as eejits until proven diffrent as i ve had some of them out and they need to be held by the hand
whin come on ,you have been guilty of some of the above.[whats the best][whats the biggest] :whistling: Edited by MY LAW

big opion for somebody thats says he knows mothing ,met him he bad mouthed people and his talks were not what you would call great , ive saw people who liked him they were a million miles from the sort i had hunted with as ayoungster and an adult ,the guys i kick about with are at the game and dont rate what he says in books and wel if your at the game yu soon no whats what , its a farce all these books for every ten you maybe get a genuine one ,

big opion for somebody thats says he knows mothing ,met him he bad mouthed people and his talks were not what you would call great , ive saw people who liked him they were a million miles from the sort i had hunted with as ayoungster and an adult ,the guys i kick about with are at the game and dont rate what he says in books and wel if your at the game yu soon no whats what , its a farce all these books for every ten you maybe get a genuine one ,

Love him of not the fact is he penned more books on working dogs had three documentaries, filmed created a breed of terrier- and will go down in history for his achievements as the greatest sporting writer of all time.

your right on the book thing .[and maybe is the right word]
jd you were about 10, still knocking one out over thunder cats

BBB dont worry about me. I read the sporting media with a great deal of scrutiny back then. I was a hunting obsessed lad.

Besides, i got a hell of a lot of back issues here and theres not one mention.

I was only asking the question...thats all.

graham thtas nothing penning lots of books cause genuine guys who poach hunt havent got the time or inclanation cause well what they going to [bANNED TEXT] about there life for to get nabbed , and yes ill always remember it was alrite on the nite that was funny, and documentries well thats an acheivment but pale significance to some of the ole time hunters i meet in the usa every year , he was whats he was like simliar writer s but nothing specail , in the real world graham , the books are ideal for young members but not for people at the game , he will probalygo down asgreatest sports write but not the best indavidule book read harold wymans book , the great game ,not some silly book like merle or dairy of a hunter youll see what lifes about

graham thtas nothing penning lots of books cause genuine guys who poach hunt havent got the time or inclanation cause well what they going to [bANNED TEXT] about there life for to get nabbed , and yes ill always remember it was alrite on the nite that was funny, and documentries well thats an acheivment but pale significance to some of the ole time hunters i meet in the usa every year , he was whats he was like simliar writer s but nothing specail , in the real world graham , the books are ideal for young members but not for people at the game , he will probalygo down asgreatest sports write but not the best indavidule book read harold wymans book , the great game ,not some silly book like merle or dairy of a hunter youll see what lifes about

Yeah right Charles Darwin

I never knew there was money donated to the miners by plummer or any other author ? it was not common knowledge. Aurthur scargill did steal the money and the miners lost a years pay for nothing :11: the strike was not even official, the daft feckers!

Edited by joe ox