heavier the pellet

but for the lighter pellet in a springer and a heavier one in a air rifle it shouldnt make a difference if the gun is putting the same power out as spring or PCP the heaver or the lighter the pellet shouldnt make a differnce to the gun it is the same sort of force couming out of a similar manufactued tool the light or heavier pellet shouldnt make a difference i cant see the sence in this. my post might not of made sence but i cannot see the sence in this.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this how it goes re heavier / lighter pellets and 12 ft lb.

If you 'tune' a pcp to give bang on 12ft/lb with say AA field (a 16.4 grain pellet) then shoot same gun with Bisley magnums (approx 22 grains) the ft/lb will be in excess of the 12 ft/lb 'legal' limit.

I think the reverse of this is true for springers. ie heavy pellet tuned to 12ft/lb gun will be over on lighter pellets?

Also am fairly sure that plod have to test any gun with the pellets you are using at the time?

Perhaps Decker may know different!

Guys I do not understand this, I see no logic in it, and all being equal I see no way it can be correct ..hence why I started this thread and I'm still waiting for someone to explain the physics!

Until then I remain unconvinced!!! :thumbs:

On a PCP the heavier the pellet the greater the ft/lb

On a springer the lighter the pellet the greater the ft/lb

What is this all about and where has it come from...this is news to me and is being banded around as reality.

How and why????...can someone please explain!

Cheers

Pellet suitability, PCP...Springer Options Track this topic

Email this topic

Print this topic

Download this topic

Subscribe to this forum

Switch to: Outline

Standard

Switch to: Linear+

Deker

View Member Profile

Add as Friend

Send Message

Find Member's Topics

Find Member's Posts Dec 13 2008, 03:28 PM Post #1

Extreme Hunter

Group: Members

Member No.: 10759

Warn: (0%)

On a PCP the heavier the pellet the greater the ft/lb

On a springer the lighter the pellet the greater the ft/lb

What is this all about and where has it come from...this is news to me and is being banded around as reality.

How and why????...can someone please explain!

Cheers

--------------------

Assuming KILLS

Full Edit

Quick Edit

jazz_11

View Member Profile

Add as Friend

Send Message

Find Member's Topics

Find Member's Posts Dec 13 2008, 03:47 PM Post #2

Mega Hunter

Member No.: 15872

i dont know mate to be honest but when i was in litts the other day buying air arms diablo pellets the guy said becareful about the ft/lb of your rifle as the police force use very heavy pellets which increases the ftlb and therefor even if you gun is under 12 with your current pellets, if the police test it, it is likely to be over which is why most new guns are around the 11.4 mark.

hope it helps

cheers

jazz

--------------------

2 working ferrets

Carlsberg & Fosters

JAKE- my English springer spaniel.

Love hunting and beating with the dog.

Air Arms S410

Roses are red

Violets are Blue

watchout bunnies im comming for you!

riohog

View Member Profile

Add as Friend

Send Message

Find Member's Topics

Find Member's Posts Dec 13 2008, 03:54 PM Post #3

Mega Hunter

Member No.: 20594

i think weight xvelocity gives ft lbs energy

Deker

View Member Profile

Add as Friend

Send Message

Find Member's Topics

Find Member's Posts Dec 13 2008, 04:02 PM Post #4

Extreme Hunter

QUOTE (jazz_11 @ Dec 13 2008, 03:47 PM)

i dont know mate to be honest but when i was in litts the other day buying air arms diablo pellets the guy said becareful about the ft/lb of your rifle as the police force use very heavy pellets which increases the ftlb and therefor even if you gun is under 12 with your current pellets, if the police test it, it is likely to be over which is why most new guns are around the 11.4 mark.

hope it helps

cheers

jazz

....a heavier pellet carries its energy better than a light one...that's why I would like someone to tell me where the opening statement has come from and what it is based on!!

Cheers

I don't understand this, but IF it is true then someone can explain it....any offers???

--------------------

Assuming KILLS

Full Edit

Quick Edit

Deker

View Member Profile

Add as Friend

Send Message

Find Member's Topics

Find Member's Posts Dec 13 2008, 04:12 PM Post #5

Extreme Hunter

QUOTE (riohog @ Dec 13 2008, 03:54 PM)

i think weight xvelocity gives ft lbs energy

The formula to calculate ft lb is....

speed (feet per second) x speed x weight (g) of pellet, divided by 450240.

But this does not explain the statement in my original post!!

--------------------

Assuming KILLS

Full Edit

Quick Edit

« Next Oldest · Airgunners, Spring & Precharged · Next Newest »

Ok... you guys may have achieved these results, but chucking a pellet or two down a gun is not scientific and not represenatative..the difference in heavy light pellets could easily be achieved from bad seals or a marginally tighter pellet/barrel fit, poor barrel condition..etc etc..2 swallows do not a summer make!

Like for like I see no reason for the results you suggest! There is simply no logic to it. I still await a scientific explaination for what you say or a controlled test, until then I remain unconvinced!

:thumbs:

velocity x velocity divide by 1 million x 2.222 x bullet weight = ft/lb

Get a chrony and try it!

Oh and I was with chimp when he tried the heavy / light pellet thing with his chrony and pcp and springer!

Where did the 1,000,000 come from? i been lookin and Ft/lbs = (fps X fps X mass (grains)) / 450240

i think this woul be more likely as it similar to the momentum in my understandin.

This is where i found this

once your into FAC a heavier pellet lets you up the fp's whilste keeping the velocity this side of the sonic boom..(speed of sound).

at 12fp levals heavier the pellet the slower it goes.. but yu cant up the velosity because it'll up the fp's to over 12fp.

Get a chrony and try it!

Oh and I was with chimp when he tried the heavy / light pellet thing with his chrony and pcp and springer!

Where did the 1,000,000 come from? i been lookin and Ft/lbs = (fps X fps X mass (grains)) / 450240

i think this woul be more likely as it similar to the momentum in my understandin.

Was given this by a gunsmith who worked for Holland & Holland, perhaps he is wrong eh?

Get a chrony and try it!

Was given this by a gunsmith who worked for Holland & Holland, perhaps he is wrong eh?

This is the formula which I posted earlier in this thread as well....

The formula to calculate ft lb is....

speed (feet per second) x speed x weight (g) of pellet, divided by 450240.

....no idea if the 1million thing works or produces the same answer...try the maths and see..may just be another way of getting the same answer!

A springer delivers its air almost instantly and its hot air after @7 inches thats it ,its reached its maximum fps ..after that it slows.Thats why springers as a whole have shorter barrells..A PCP delivers cold air and it accelarates the full length of the barrell .Put a longer barrell on a PCP and performance inproves the opposite in a springer...If in doubt dont argue try for youself.