Illuninated Reticle

On my cheap scope I did find it very usefull however when using my good scope I dont need it.

That said the batteries went flat 2 years ago and I have not bothered to replace them so I would say GIMICK.

CBW

Hi. I've only ever used non I.R. for the last 25 years. (that's just made me feel old!) However, I put a Walther 3-9x50 30mm I.R. on a lamping outfit recently and have found it very handy. So long as I keep it on it's lowest setting, it really does make picking up my target a good deal faster in low light, or with a lamp. On it's higher settings, it is far too bright. All I can see is a red or green glare (depending on colour setting). It's a case of try it and see if you like it, I s'pose. Works for me, but then having said that, I'm still happy to use my 'old style' scopes under the same conditions... Suck it and see!! Cheers and good shooting.

Edited by andyfr1968

webber i had the same problem, and a friend showed me that if i change the number on the scope to a low number you can see it better and to check to make sure it suits you look into the moon and change it im not sure what the piece is called that you move but most scopes say something like "3-9" hope this helps daniel.

• 4 weeks later...

i have been out hunting on grey/dark days whilst set up in the bushes and have been scanning the borders of the fields for rabbits when sometimes i notice i can't clearly see the reticle due to the darkness of the bushes, i have had 3 IR scopes in my time - but i have never needed to use the IR! it's nice to have, but i no longer use IR scopes, why would i?

lamping may be different entirely - something i have wanted to try but never had the chance to do, so i can't comment on that.

Phil

My last IR scope:

post-28462-1231033597.jpg

Edited by philip140

I use nothing but illuminated reticle at night or in low light conditions.

The scope I use is a nightforce 3.5x15x56 the reticle is so thin that at night it is the quickest and easiest way for target accquision.

On a chunky style recticle I supposed some would not need to illuminate, But it is a matter of personal choice and if it works for you.

Thanks for all the responses.

I think this shows fairly conclusively that illuminated reticles do have a use for long range night IF the reticle is VERY fine, failing that a bit of a gimmick!

Interesting...Cheers!!!