Illuninated Reticle

I have loads of scopes but only one that lights up, to be honest I have not yet found a situation where it has been the lifesaver it is meant to be, actually I don't use it at all, after playing with the settings, levels and colours to see what it does I have NEVER been in a situation I needed it!!!

So, what is your verdict...gimmick or essential??

Edited by Deker

I have loads of scopes but only one that lights up, to be honest I have not yet found a situation where it has been the lifesaver it is meant to be, actually I don't use it at all, after playing with the settings, levels and colours to see what it does I have NEVER been in a situation I needed it!!!

So, what is your verdict...gimmick or essential??

I've found it useful when lamping rabbits.

webber

i dont own one but have used one on friends rifle red illuminated i found it very offputting so does he therefore he no longer uses it agimmic i think!

How can it be a gimik, when without the illuminated cross hairs I see no cross hairs when lamping?

webber

Guest JohnGalway

There's never agreement on this question :laugh: There shouldn't be either. Different people like and get along with different things :yes: Out of the five scopes I've owned three of them have had the ill ret facility. I don't use it as I don't like it but others swear by it.

Whatever works :thumbs:

i dont own one but have used one on friends rifle red illuminated i found it very offputting so does he therefore he no longer uses it agimmic i think!

How can it be a gimik, when without the illuminated cross hairs I see no cross hairs when lamping?

webber

going blind maybe?

I know what you mean Webber, The outside of the beam Is on the rabbit and there's not enough illumination to make out the crosshairs and know where to aim. I've just bought a new scope with the IR to try and combat this. I've never shot with one before but It should be better IMO especially when you are shooting In very low light without a lamp :victory:

webber

Lots of different reticles and perhaps some too fine to see well at night ...or lamp not bright enough....I'm just curious as I have no problem seeing my non illuminated reticle under the lamp. Think I have bought 5 scopes since the illuminated one and no need or desire to buy another that lights up!! :thumbs:

No night problems with JSR, Hawke, AGS, Nikko Sterling, Simmons, Leupold all without the illumination.....but then again my lamp is ok...that's why I need a 9ah Battery :whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

webber

Lots of different reticles and perhaps some too fine to see well at night ...or lamp not bright enough....I'm just curious as I have no problem seeing my non illuminated reticle under the lamp. Think I have bought 5 scopes since the illuminated one and no need or desire to buy another that lights up!! :thumbs:

No night problems with JSR, Hawke, AGS, Nikko Sterling, Simmons, Leupold all without the illumination.....but then again my lamp is ok...that's why I need a 9ah Battery :whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

The scope is a Leupold with a fine reticule. Its great in daylight but I struggle to see it at night. I dont use super bright lamps, as I feel that it spooks the bunnies too much. I'm taking the Yukon night vision scope off my .22 semi auto, and shall be on the look out for another Leupold with illuminated reticule.

webber

i wouldn't say that a illuminated reticle is a life saver but it does come in bloody handy on occasion. i do a bit of pest control on the side with a friend and when using an air rifle on ferals in a dark warehouse its does come in handy a non illuminated rectile disapears and makes thing tricky. I use the same gun/scope for hunting as well, under lamp or just low light (dawn and dusk) is much better than non illuminated. remember if you have a illuminated reticle you can turn it off but if you dont you cant turn it on. I would go for a basic IR (illuminated retcile) not too many options just basic brightness control :D