Got out early this morning to go up to the shoot to put out 15 bags of corn into the feeders and 5 bags of sweepings onto the rides and into the burns plenty birds about in the warmer woods and glad to see a lot of mallard resting up on the burns. As i fed the burns the ducks got up and then even before i had finished feeding they where trying to drop back in maybe to do with the snowy conditions + the ponds are frozen over and the ducks settled onto the only open water around here and of course i've been feeding up since august and not shot over it yet anyway looks good for tommorows rough shoot . Plan is to hunt up reeds and along the burns for pheasant and duck AM then do a couple of woods and an area of white grasses and young platation for bunnys partridge and maybe woodcock PM..With the snow on the ground took the oppertunity to look for signs of charly found a couple of tracks noted for later on when next out with the rifle . It started to blow a gale and sleating so put the quad away and headed home for an early bath.Can't do nowt because of the weather stuck inn so posted this .Fingers crossed for a good day to come . :thumbs:PS forgot to say we will be hunting a large field of rape as the farm has given us the ok to do it before they put stock in to feed.more pheasannts and parrtys i hope.

Edited by hily

The day was cold, bright and calm with no wind smashing for a ramble but not so good for a rough shoot.But out with the gun and dog and some mates got to be better than work.Started down a wet and marshey gully full of reids and grass tufts bumped out a few bunnys got off a few shots and the dogs had couple of retrieves the noise put up about a dozen mallard off the burn a few hundred yards down the gully we all got down but the ducks flew straight off and away made a mental note next time split up and come from both ends of the gully in the hope that the ducks will fly over one end or the other. We where disapointed not to take a few pheasants from here but i think they legged it when we fired,onto the rape field lined out only five guns and four dogs bloody big field to cover decided to take in the sunny side in the hope any game would be suning themselves the lads an both sides of me had birds flushing but i was having trouble keeping my young ess from pulling out to far ahead i missed a chance of a good bird while working the dog never mind***.Next an open wood leading to a young plantation and white grasses blanked wood into plantation then hunted the dogs through the birds and the bunnys where sitting tight here two hen pheasants got up at the same time and where dropped out in front one was picked but the other was a runner stopped the line and started to look for the pricked bird poor scent dogs working hard for a find then on the fence line a bird hunched down an running i put another shot into it and sent the dog for the retrieve.This plantation produced about a dozen flushes and more game in the bag .The cold weather and icey snow on the ground took its tole on my young dog .We decided to leave the bag here a collect it with the quade later split up and my pal and i would head back to the farm and the others would hunt out a moor and a wood .On the way back the ess stopped in her tracks so i carried her for a while my pal hunted his little ess alonge the burn and put up three ducks bang one duck in the bag champion!Back at the farm took the quad out to collect the game we left out in the field the terrier came with me she ran alongside the bike on the way out to collect but coming back she jumped up on the tank and hitched a lift back terriers aint daft.While waiting for the other lads getting back to the farm we decided to take out our other ess and give the a small hunt arround a small reidey pond we had 20 mins of fast flushes and good retrieves this was a great end to the day The bag at the end of the day was 9 rabbits 10 pheasants 1 hare 1 mallard total 21 . So those jobs where werth doing. SORRY ABOUT THE LENGHT OF THE POST CAN,T GET OUT BORED.