This season our shoot has offerd days out rough shooting or walk and stand to paying guests i was a bit concerned about safety and also what type of guys we would be letting onto our shoot up to now the lads we have had out have taken on board any advice offerd concerning safety or shoot etiquette and even tips on how to work with the dogs when hunting up quarry the attitude of these mostly young lads has been great so much so that i will be doing the same next season and may even have a few rabbit days during next year.In the past we ok'd members of the shoot to bring geusts and to be frank some of these geusts where bloody dangerous even though they had been shooting for years we had one turning up in tracky bottoms camo coat and trainers and after 1/2 an hour he was telling us how we should be running the shoot and that he was here to kill any thing that got up, the last straw was when he took a low shot at a partridge flushed from a wood wich had beaters in at the time he was told to put his gun into his slip and leave. The best part about it was that the shoot member and the geust could not understand why we took this action.So what i'am realy saying is just because a gun has been shooting for years dos'nt make them a safe shot likewise if there young they are not always cocky and dangerous. Has anyone had to deal with an unsafe shot.

Edited by hily

hey hily got to agree i experienced a very scary experience a few years back where i was stop at the end of a drive when a gun of senior years apparently shot all his days and guest of a very wealthy landowner discharged his gun towards me leaving a hole roughly 15' from me only 6" across so very tight pattern when the keeper got to me and all the birds had run on he took the gun out of the gents hands and told him to f**k **f his shoot strangely no one argued

Very good post!! :clapper:

The etiquette and the security is what is most important in hunting. No bird or deer is worth a danger for anyone. People should know how to behave. Not pulling the trigger is also a hunting skill. I have experienced dangerous behaviours and got my dachel shot dead by a young hunter and my dad was shot 20 years ago by a really experienced hunter using a Purdey... he was hit by about 15 pellets at 30 yards and miraculously he had nothing too serious. Those accident happened with people that where teached to use firearms and had to pass exams to get a permit, those people, even the young hunter had been hunting all their life.

I was involved in France in helping young hunters to find shooting grounds and I always got very positive feedbacks. The young generation is very respectful and listens to advises better than old people. Lack of experience sometimes make people do mistakes but experience doesn't count when you pull the trigger at the wrong moment.

Please take your time when you flush birds. It is nicer and easier to kill a pheasant at 25 yards than 10. Take your time and never shoot if you have a doubt. When you walk and the ground is not easy to walk, open your gun. When you jump a fence take your cartridges out. An accident always happens when you don't expect it to happen.

When shooting be ridiculously safe!