tikka t3 2506 vs hare

kiwi

it's only dangerous in your minds eye mate.

you might think it looks bad but for any one thats done a bit of shooting it's just a headshot hare at the end of the day.

the wind was not an issue, as stated it was a 2506, well known for it's ability to handle wind better than a 22 cal.

the back stop was soft black sand and as clearly seen the angle was huge.

the shot was taken off the front porch of our beach bach and is part of the farm pest control programme, meaning you take the shots as they present themselves.

we shoot plenty of feral cats along the same stretch of sandunes so it was hardly a one off experience.

i suggest you avoid looking at any more video clips from new zealand, i'm sure the site of some guy hanging out of a chopper headshooting deer and goats will totally confuse your veiw of sport and pest control.

i have been shooting from the age of 17 and i am 48 i have used a .243 .308 .22 plus shotguns and could not count the amount of hares foxes deer geese rabbits etc etc , i am sorry but your video does incourage begginer to think they can do that type of shooting and you know they cant if your post would have said to begginers dont try this range of shooting as you can kill or injure livestock etc then that makes them think first before trying long range shots, i did not set out to insult you as i dont know you, dave

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If that's the case then when I was a beginner to any kind of shooting I would never have fired a single shot.

I live in Wales, and what accompanies Wales in most people's train of thought? Sheep.

There are more sheep than people here. And Almost every farm that I shoot over has sheep on it. Thats why I'm shooting there, to keep the foxes down before and during Lambing.

This landscape can be unpredictable. There could be a mile of soft earth before a coal seam where the bullet strikes, or a deposit of granite under the soil.

I could fire at any piece of ground with the chance of a ricochet and it hitting a sheep on a Hill a mile away, or a Cow in the next field. Its the same for so many people.

As stated by Kiwi, there was a layer of Black sand beneath the Hare. Now that is what I would call a Man who knows where his bullet is going and what it is going into.

Perfectly safe.

Now from your Profile there, you are from Northern Ireland? One of the most changeable landscapes I have ever visited. Drive a few miles and you can go from Grass fields, to rocky karst landscapes. There could be a slab of rock or a peat bog under your feet anywhere.

Now I don't wish to offend you. You are in a similar position to myself as regards land.

But everyone has to start somewhere. If I had followed the advice, only to shoot when there are no livestock within rifle range, then I would have far less kills to my name.

SS :thumbs:

If that's the case then when I was a beginner to any kind of shooting I would never have fired a single shot.

I live in Wales, and what accompanies Wales in most people's train of thought? Sheep.

There are more sheep than people here. And Almost every farm that I shoot over has sheep on it. Thats why I'm shooting there, to keep the foxes down before and during Lambing.

This landscape can be unpredictable. There could be a mile of soft earth before a coal seam where the bullet strikes, or a deposit of granite under the soil.

I could fire at any piece of ground with the chance of a ricochet and it hitting a sheep on a Hill a mile away, or a Cow in the next field. Its the same for so many people.

As stated by Kiwi, there was a layer of Black sand beneath the Hare. Now that is what I would call a Man who knows where his bullet is going and what it is going into.

Perfectly safe. i see your point of veiw but if you look for my user name you will find it on a few forums and i just moved to ireland last december i am originally from dundee, i know different countries have different ways of shooting if i owned the land and someone shot over or near my livestock they would not be allowed to shoot on it anymore if you own the land and stock then thats your right to shoot in that way, ps everyone is allowed their point of veiw we dont always agree with each other thats life, dave

Now from your Profile there, you are from Northern Ireland? One of the most changeable landscapes I have ever visited. Drive a few miles and you can go from Grass fields, to rocky karst landscapes. There could be a slab of rock or a peat bog under your feet anywhere.

Now I don't wish to offend you. You are in a similar position to myself as regards land.

But everyone has to start somewhere. If I had followed the advice, only to shoot when there are no livestock within rifle range, then I would have far less kills to my name.

SS :thumbs:

i see your point of veiw,i am originally from dundee ,but everyone is intiteled to there own perseption of safe shooting and if anyone shot beside any livestock on the farms in tayside they would not be allowed to shoot again, dave Edited by scarecrow243

i can see eveyones point, ive been shooting for almost 25 years, if it was my beast id say it wasnt a safe shot but if it was my eye behind the scope on my beat then im sure id feel confident in my own ability to asses the dangers and take it down. HOWEVER you did mention CHECK zero. so not a safe shot in my eye son.

very nice shot by the way.

check the zero was my excuse to waste a 2506 round on the hare, i already knew it was ok :icon_redface:

i will ask you all a question, if you was out and saw a fox in a lambing paddock chewing a new born lamb with the ewe standing there would you shoot the fox......and if you did would you call it 'sport' or control.

we don't have foxes in nz but we do have lamb killers that we do shoot when they get a taste for mutton, i have no problem shooting around stock, you get used to making the call on whats safe and whats not, including knowing the capabilites of the rifle or shotgun you have in hand.

vidboaratbatches109.jpg

this is the next round in the magazines victim shot a few hours later.

there was sheep around when the dog chased it out of the scrub.

i have only just gotten a camcorder so look forward to posting up more hunting clips in the future.

if your worried about the poor image they show to new shooters or anti's let me know, i will post a filmed in nz warning :gunsmilie:

yes i would shoot a fox or dog if it was killing a lamb or chickens or if it was worrying cattle etc, thats not the same thing and you know it i am afraid you have tunnel vision in your eyes you are infalable no farmer would complain if your take a shot at fox or dog thats killing his livestock, if you tried that on any farm that i did pest control on they would most likely have your licence revoked for dangerous shooting, i got told this was a good forum but after what i have read in your posts as a moderator if the rest think the same way as you then i wont be back, oh i did not know hares in new zealand killed cattle ???

the farm in question is our family farm.

shame you have decided to judge the whole forum on one post. not sure being a mod has anything to do with it by the way :icon_eek: i follow the same rules as everybody else. if if offends anybody thats been here longer than five posts i'll remove the thread.

sporting shooter did i say you can dial a scope back 10 yards? no! would any responsible shooter check zero there rifle with livestock 10 yards away? no they wouldn't!

kiwi if you say you knew it was zero'd and just an excuse to loose off a round then fine. not a bad little shot there mate. but could you shoot like that under pressure?

Hi KIWI i did not ask or suggest you remove the video as a moderator you should be thinking about yuor posts as i said it would make new shooters think they could take shots like that also if you stated the land and cattle are owned by you and that is why you take shots like that then that would be ok ,

All the Moderators on this forum are also members of the forum, and have the right to post and express just like every other member.

So, what is the difference between you shooting a Hare that can eat a third of what a Sheep can each day, and shooting a Fox thats been killing lambs?

According to yourself, its OK to "endanger" livestock for one but not the other. There's no point in using the excuse of him checking the Zero, he has explained he was satisfied with that.

Pointless having the lambs if there is nothing for them to eat. It seems the sense of Urgency is the same out there whether you shoot a Hare or a Boar.