Bird Lime

Guest buster321c

Guest buster321c

Does anybody know what the old limers used to make the bird lime out of ? Just been reading about a bloke who made little cones with seed in the bottom and put them in the furrows to attract pheasants , and he smeared lime around the inside of the cone . Bird ate seed , cone stuck on head , bloke collected confused bird(s) , simple . Just interested now ive read about it , atb Buster

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The good old bad old days, easier now if needed, just order a mist net from China for £10 including delivery. 

I know it’s been illegal for many many years,  however when I was a kid my dad kept birds his favourite was the goldfinch and it is a beautiful bird. He would boil the linseed oil till it was stick en

It did mate, but I just found a far cheaper one, also in Portugal, the guy who offered me one for a One'r must have been trying to stiff me, but his was hand made,so maybe not. 

Does anybody know what the old limers used to make the bird lime out of ? Just been reading about a bloke who made little cones with seed in the bottom and put them in the furrows to attract pheasants , and he smeared lime around the inside of the cone . Bird ate seed , cone stuck on head , bloke collected confused bird(s) , simple . Just interested now ive read about it , atb Buster

"Historically, the substance has been prepared in various ways, and from various materials. A popular form was made from holly bark, boiled for 10 to 12 hours. After the green coating is separated from the other, it is stored in a moist place for two weeks. It is then pounded into a thick paste, until no wood fibres remain, and washed in running water until no small specks appear. After fermenting for four or five days, during which it is frequently skimmed, the substance is mixed over a fire with a third part of nut oil. This is then ready for use."

• Like 1

Bolied Linseed oil...............

hi Bird lime can be made by boiling linseed into a glue was used for all sorts of things like catching small birds ,rats , mouise , but years ago our father made and used it for flys in chicken cabins ect .

it is now illegal to use in this country .

Just in case anyone is in any doubt, the use of bird lime is no longer legal. :big_boss:

The chap who used to take me ferreting when i was a kid caught birds,he had walking sticks that pulled apart ,a bit like sword sticks,when he found were they were feeding he would unsheath the limed rod from the stick and place it in the reeds,never cared for it my self, most of them die anyway.

• 13 years later...

I know it’s been illegal for many many years,  however when I was a kid my dad kept birds his favourite was the goldfinch and it is a beautiful bird. He would boil the linseed oil till it was stick enough to use we used to go out the old railway and watch till we saw a goldfinch go in and out of a winbush they we would place tiny sticks with his birdlime on it then the bird was caught the next time it landed. He also carried alcohol and quickly cleaned the line off the bird. He crossed them with a canary and got not as nice mules you can’t mate them. Ty although a lesser bird that a wild goldfinch it could sing just as well as a wild bird. He’s long dead i was under age so I guess it’s water under the bridge. On a nicer note once he had a clutch he released the wild bird. Just a memory thought I would share. 

• Like 2

The chap who used to take me ferreting when i was a kid caught birds,he had walking sticks that pulled apart ,a bit like sword sticks,when he found were they were feeding he would unsheath the limed rod from the stick and place it in the reeds,never cared for it my self, most of them die anyway.

sad most dies my dad never lost a wild catch. The lime needs of the bird ASAP they try to clean it if themselves that kills them. Not that anyone would use it today but worth knowing 

• Like 1