Ten days ago we got some heavy rain that has really hurt the hunting in my area. Water levels were already high from a storm a couple of months ago but this last rain has put all of the snipe hunting areas areas under water. It is too bad since I was just beginning to find a few birds. I had been worried before the season opened three weeks ago but the first couple of days I found some birds. I don't know if many will choose to winter here under the current conditions. In past years when the conditions have been poor I have turned to hunting ducks instead of snipe. If we don't get any rain in the next couple of months the water levels will drop some and if that happens and the cold kills some of the grass I could end up with a small amount of suitable snipe habitat. Until then everything is in limbo.

Skip

On the morning of Saturday the 15th it was still drizzling but by noon it had all stopped and the sky started clearing.

111508a.jpg

111508e.jpg

111508f.jpg

The area between where I was standing and where my boat is sitting was dry just three days prior. It was an opening where I could usually count on a snipe. Not any longer.

111508i.jpg

The sole fruit of my labor, and labor I did. I paddled and poled the boat for a good while and did quite a bit of walking for this one bird.

111508j.jpg