alternative trout baits

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I have never poached. I have got together with mates to stock a small pool with rainbows for our own sport and had it wrecked by theiving scum though. I am in a small shoot also. Just a group of mates who put down a few birds and do a bit of keeping for a couple of days at the pheasants. If someone walked through our pen with an air rifle one night and took half a dozen pheasants that would have a big impact on our sport. If 4 or 5 lads decided to come and help themselves to a few for the pot it would wreck the whole season.

There are loads of people out there who don't own a shooting estate or can't afford a gun on a big shoot. I could never afford to pay out the sort of money needed to fish on the Test or a top beat on the Tweed. I don't think that gives me the right to go and take it.

Why does anybody have to justify what they charge for anything, something is worth what someone will pay. If they are prepared to pay several hundred pounds for a days fishing then thats their problem. They are paying for more than the sport, they are paying for what they percieve to be a superior experience, to confirm to themselves that they are better than the likes of you or me, when they turn up with their brand new gear and shiny range rovers, pity them.

There are plenty of waters around which are affordable to the average bloke. You can get a 2 or 3 fish ticket for £15. Do you smoke? Have satelite TV? go to the footie on Saturday? Its a choice mate. But its not about money really is it? be honest.

My point is, if you are crazy about the sport, shooting, fishing or hunting you should work for it, not take it off someone who works hard to provide it for himself or his mates.

I can't say I've never broken the law, like Bob(?) Ive been done for speeding. There are loads of laws I don't agree with, the hunting act for one. Thats not really relevant. Stealing is a bit more fundamental than that, its a completely different moral level. Also, I don't believe anyone in this country poaches to survive.

On justifying the cost of fishing some of the more exclusive beats, how much do you think it costs to run a well managed fishery? Pay a beatkeeper, maintain banks, cut weed, clean gravels? How many tickets can you sell per day on say a three mile stretch? Multiplied by the number of in season days. Nobodys making a fortune mate, that money goes to provide employment. How much does the poacher put back into providing that sport? nowt.

dude where abouts in notts you from? im from leicester do a little trout fishing myself. prawns are a killer bait, if this is too expensive then save the bone or carcase from sunday lunch, lob it in a keep net and set it out in a river over night with 2 sticks, you should have some nice big signal crayfish. absolute dynamite bait. if not then a nice big lob worm would do the trick but if you intend a night time session id get a syringe and fill the little buggers full of air to make them float then fish them on the surface! if that dont catch you enough to fill your freezer nothing will.

dude where abouts in notts you from? im from leicester do a little trout fishing myself. prawns are a killer bait, if this is too expensive then save the bone or carcase from sunday lunch, lob it in a keep net and set it out in a river over night with 2 sticks, you should have some nice big signal crayfish. absolute dynamite bait. if not then a nice big lob worm would do the trick but if you intend a night time session id get a syringe and fill the little buggers full of air to make them float then fish them on the surface! if that dont catch you enough to fill your freezer nothing will.

if your on about me then im living in wollaton at the moment, and to be honest if i got some crayfish id f**k the trout off and eat them ;)

• 6 months later...

there you go mate you have been done for speeding, what happens if you hit a kid?? think everyone will agree that poaching a few trout is better than dangerous driving

cheers sean (yeh and i do a fair bit of poaching but wouldnt raid a place dry)