VERY bad news.......

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not good news Deker :( The only positive to come out of this is that the landowner knows it's not you.My shooting partner & i had a similar problem this summer not with livestock but a dead pheasent stuck up in a tree.The landowner was informed that it had been put in the tree to be used as target practice :o he knew we'd never do anything like that & when we got the bird down from the tree it had trussed itself up with bailing twine....just shows how easy some people jump to conclusions & point the finger :big_boss:

I was thinking along the same lines, if it was shot with the 12g, well thats fairly obvious, but could it have been done with a crossbow, similar entry wound to a non penetrating rifle shot ???? just a thought

hi all,15 years ago when i applied for my 22-250, my firearms inquiry officer, who was a good old boy [sadly now retired and in his 60,s and much missed but still an avid fox shooter] told me never to shoot at a pair of eyes,it could be a woman holding a cat! now i know most people on this forum are far more sensible than to do that,but the pillock who shot the cow obviously did not know what he was shooting at.this accidental shooting will create quite a paper trail as the ministry for farms and fisheries will have to be informed as since BSE foot and mouth etc all livestock have an individual passport to ensure it does not end up in the food chain after 36 months.they will have to be notified and so on and so on and all the shit that goes with it. i shot a muntjaic by mistake one night ,was a bit pissed off about this as i like to obey the rules but did not let it go to waste ,it ended up in the freezer, but that made me even more careful ,if im not 100% sure its not old reynard i let it go.my thoughts are with you deker ihope none of the shit flying about over this spoils your permission and things quieten down and you can enjoy your sport as before...all the best greasemonkey

Thats terrible mate , but good news he knows its not you , this is part of the reason i `Always` ring to say when im going on my permission then there`s no confusion , plus the fact, if im lamping and they see a lamp going over the fields , they know its me because ive rung ;)

What you have written is what I ALWAYS do - even if the land owner has said " just help yourself, come and go as you please"

Because what has happened on Deker's permission could happen to any of us and it could be that we become the culprit especially if we are the sole user of that ground.

Lets face it poaching is on the rise and morons shooting at night out of a truck window at anything with eyes is becoming quite common. In my area 2 years ago a woman had her horse shot one night by a poacher who perhaps thought the horse was a red hind.

I therefore cant strongly recommend to this forum's members that they should phone/leave a message or text their landowner before setting off. Why should you potentially lose the right to shoot on land because of a drive by poacher.

I am sorry that this has happened to you Deker and trust the farmer stays on your side and lets you continue shooting on this land. For the rest of us, we must protect ourselves with the only option available of contacting the farmer prior to setting out.

Peter

This is where insurance comes into play to compensate the owner.

BUT it could NEVER compensate the owner for all the time put into the breading of an animal.

Dont mean to be a stickler in respect of detail but if the insurance is on the correct basis then the loss of the beast itself, together with the loss of income and any furture market value can be insured. Depends on the insurer / broker.

Cheers

lucky it was a cow????

we had a case over here in co. fermanagh when a young child was hit in the head with a .22 bullet(thank god he lived). The guy that fired the bullet did not come forward after appeals from police etc .After a long time the police arrested and charged a local farmer (think he was anyway) and he was convicted.Believe they used the rifling on bullet to find gun.

Not sure why he did not come forward , he would have to be living under a stone not to know what was going on and the fact police were looking for someone.

Sean

With the way flying shit sticks to everything/everyone around, I think Deker will be extremely lucky if he doesn't loose his permission, never mind being hauled in to account for himself with the local constabulary.

I've been is completely unrelated situations whereby just because I enjoy a certain pastime, I've been tarred with a brush, wrongly.

Deker, do you also inhabit a site that begins with MCNN????

Edited by McSparkie

Fingers crossed this all blows over without the loss of that permission, it's a terrific one too. The farmer that owns it is a sound and reasonable chap, so here's hoping once he's calmed down he sees all the reason here.

Now if it was this other guy, he needs to be very firmly dealt with. These cows are mostly f***ing huge, somewhere around or over the tonne mark I should think. You simply cannot confuse it with something else, so I wouldn't rule out a deliberate act, which is a whole different can of worms.

I can see the farmer saying that shooting can continue but in daylight only, which wouldn't be the end of the world, but the foxes there are very crafty so it would make life difficult.

How on earth someone can confuse a Cow with Anything else is beyond my comprehension, but as has been suggested there are two other pathways, a Stray bullet with that one in a million chance that it hit the Cow, or someone shot it purposefully.

I have cattle on two of the larger of my permissions, and often lamp them at night, but it's so bloody obvious what they are! Foxes aren't four foot off the ground.

Whoever was there shooting and shot it, shouldn't be able to look at a gun again let alone fire one.

Ballistics will clear you Deker if it comes to that :thumbs:

I hope that it does calm down and blow over, along with you keeping hold of your Shooting there. He must know in his mind that the chances of you doing something so idiotic, plain doesn't fit the bill.

Best of Luck.

SS :thumbs: